We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone hiking

ibs
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yellowstone hiking

What are the best hikes in Yellowstone? We arrive Aug. 7 for 3 nights with our 2 boys, 11 and 14 (staying at Old Faithful Inn). The stairs sound great -- I think the boys would be fine. What about the Mount Wasburn trail? We are spending 3 days in Jackson prior to Yellowstone then going up to Glacier NP after Yellowstone. Any advice/opinions. Thanks

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone hiking

My guys [ages 50 (hubby), 16, and 13 (sons)] loved the Mt. Washburn Trail. It's basically an old road, but steep. The boys were in great shape from being in track and jogged most of the way up. They made it up and down in a little over two hours. They said the view from the top is fabulous. They saw bighorn sheep on the way. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

Mammoth is a can't miss - the trail around the hot springs (upper and lower) isn't too long. One highly recommended trail close by Mammoth is the Beaver Ponds Loop - about 5 miles, little elevation gain.

Since you'll be at the Old Faithful Inn, take in the sights of the Upper Geyser Basin. This can take over half a day all by itself - especially if you wait to see a few go off. They are spectacular.

The hike to Mystic Falls from Biscuit Basin is very nice.

Make sure to visit Fountain Paint Pots or Artist Paint Pots (two different locations), and Norris Geyser Basin.

Other nice hikes I've always wanted to do are the ones to Lone Star Geyser, Fairy Falls, and the trail along Hellroaring Creek.

Idaho
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone hiking

Yellowstone is a hikers paradise. There are many hikes of short, medium, and long length. The above mentioned trails are all good. There is just too many to choose from for three days. I would recommend deciding what you really want to see, and choosing a hike close to attractions you will be visiting already. The boardwalk trails at Old Faithful and Norris are a couple miles each if you walk the whole thing. The smaller basins and Mammoth have around a mile of boardwalk each. You can do quite a bit of walking just seeing the major attractions. That said, you can get away from many of the crowds by hiking even a mile off the main roads. There are many great hiking books available in the bookstores in the park. Many of them even sort the hikes by length.

I've always wanted to do the Mount Washburn trail. The road to it (between Tower Fall and Canyon) has been closed for repair for a while--you might want to see if they have re-opened it before choosing this hike.

If the road to Mt. Washburn is closed, I think you can hike to the top of Bunsen Peak, just south of Mammoth. From the same trailhead, you can hike to Osprey Falls--Gorgeous, but about 8 miles round trip with a steep swichback section. Mystic and Fairy Falls are nice. Wraith Falls is a short walk. Monument Geyser basin and Grizzly Lake are a couple miles, and nice for getting away from the crowds. Those are just a few. . .find a book when you get there to find a hike in the area and of the length you want.

Good Luck!

Katy, Tx
Level Contributor
13 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone hiking

Just got back from Yellowstone 3 wks ago.

Don't miss the Norris Basin Trail (easy 1 or so mile mostly boardwalk). The trail goes through some awesome hot springs & geysers (we were disappointed with Old Faithful after seeing the geysers in Norris Basin). Don't forget your camera! We went before 9am & we were basically by ourselves. There are lots of mosquitos on some parts of the trail.

On our stay in Jackson, we had the best time doing whitewater rafting down snake river (we went with Barker-Ewing outfitters). My 2 boys, 8 & 11 said this was the best part of the trip. If you get hungry, go to Billy's Giant Hamburger,

they (3 college type guys) have the best time making "'quarter pounders". The price is great too. It's a

50's style diner, you sit on barstools. My kids also said this is the best part of the trip.

Idaho
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone hiking

When you go to Old Faithful, stop in at the visitor center first. There is a memo board next to the information desk with estimated eruption times for the predictable geysers in the park, most of them located in the geyser basin with Old Faithful. Personally, I prefer the Old Faithful basin and the Buiscuit basin to Norris, but they all have their charms.

illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone hiking

We found a book at Borders for $15 that proved to be invaluable. It is An Outdoor Family Guide to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks by Lisa Gollin Evans, published by The Mountaineers. It lists (and has drawings) of the trails, their length, how easy they are, how heavily traveled, what animals and sights you are likely to see, etc. The end of the book is "self-guided wildlife 'safaris'".

Personally, I didn't think too much of Jackson, I'd spend most of that time in the Grand Tetons. The town was OK, I guess, just seemed like a place to spend tons of money. They did have a Georgia O'Keefe exhibit at the museum, but, of course, I never got to see that!

I just thought of something to add about the trails. While staying at the Canyon cabins, we had a bear run across the road about 50 feet from us. When our neighbors got back from hiking all day (hoping to see a bear), I had to tell them that they would have had better luck sitting on the porch! LOL!