We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

Wilmington, DE
5 posts
Save Topic
My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

Jusr returned from a 5 day trip to these two parks. Here is my recommendations:

1. Grand Teton is best seen in the morning light. This is because the road lies to the east of the mountains and in the afternoon, since the sun is on the other side of mountains, the mountains appear dark and their features are hard to note. However silhouttes ar sunset may be dramatic.

1. Out of all lodges in Tetons, I liked the location of the Jackson Lake lodge the best. It is one of the best places from where to see all the mountains.

3. If you want to take a float ride, book it in advance. The location of the starting point for these are in Moose, but the companies which book the excursion are not located there.

Yellowstone:

1. It is a must to go to Bear Tooth Mountains. In my view, the trip is not complete without going there. Reserve half a day atleast for this trip. This must be one of the most scenic highways in the world. It is somehwat reminescent of the "Road to Hana" in Maui, Hawaii. In some ways it may even be better! However I must say that the raod is very curvacious and it requires extreme concentration to drive there. I was very nervous during the last few miles of that highway. I have some phobia of hights and that added to my anxiety. Try to return back before the sunset. But you will be ewarded for this trip with breathtaking vistas.

3. Take enough memory cards with you. The price of these there is four times as much.

4. Lamar Valley: what a wondorous place to be in! Serene and gentle. The best part of Yellowstone for me.

5. In the Canyons, donot miss the Uncle Tom Trail to the base of the lower falls. It is very steep (equal to a 30 story building, but can be done by even sedentary folks like me and my wife.

All in all, a very beatiful trip.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

Thanks for posting; it's nice to hear back, it's nice information for newbies.

Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

Thanks for your trip report. I'm beginning to plan our family trip for next summer and am overwhelmed with where to start. Your info is very helpful.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

Hi NatureNut2,

I appreciate your helpful tips!

Welcome home.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

Thanks for checking back. Good tips,I agree with them all, but I would slide Signal Mountain Lodge in the running with JLL!

teehan, there is a packing check list that you might find helpful while planning....it should be on the Yellowstone pages .

Check it out:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c100586/Wyomin…

Wilmington, DE
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

I thought Signal Lake Lodge is very good too, particularly for those interested in fishing, as it is in intimate relation to the lake and they provide boats and even fishing lessons, I believe. If you get the rooms overlooking the lake, then the view must be wonderful, I think.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

As far as Signal Mountain Lodge goes, even if the accommodation is not directly on the lake, the lake is highly visible throughout the cabin complex and only a walk of about 1-2 minutes if not visible from the cabin. We had a "non-view" cabin, yet only had a partially obstructed view of the lake.(Rm 114).

Lamar was our favorite part of Yellowstone as well.

7. Re: My recent trip to Tetons and Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 03:20