We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

Hello - It is feasible to visit both Yellowstone and Grand Teton in April for a week? Of course it would be in the popular school spring break week starting April 17th. We have not been to either. We have 2 boys who will be ages 14 and 12 at that time. Any recommendations on lodgings, hiking, etc are appreciated! Thank you so much! :)

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

April is winter in Yellowstone and no lodging or facilities will be open then. There is a short northern road into the park that is kept open year-round and the western road will be opened April 17th, none of the visitor centers or lodging or other facilities will be open then. I would not recommend your family make their first visit to this wonderland at that time of year.

If you will put "April" into the search box above, you will a number of previous threads, including one very recently, which answered this very question.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

I goofed - I see where the Old Faithful Snow Lodge Grill and Gift Shop is opening April 18th. No lodging is available in park until May 2nd (Mammoth & Snow Lodge).

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

Wow thank you so much! We are from New England and April is springtime here. :) I really appreciate your post. :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

Maybe as an alternative, look at Grand Canyon and places in AZ and the southwest. Visit www.nps.gov to check out the different national parks and monuments.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

What a great trip this would be for your boys - but not in April!

As Shell said, most of the facilities won't be open then. Also, not all of the roads in the Parks are open at that time of year. Check this website for more details: nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

There's a link there too for road closures/openings.

I would second the suggestion for a trip to Az - or the Southern Utah Parks if you're committed to April.

Otherwise, wait until summer. Your boys are at a great age to enjoy this area and all it has to offer!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

Here is the website regarding previous responses. As noted on the website, a week is short for this tour, and I'd study the website and choose.

www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcircle.htm

The parks I suggest are: Zion, Arches, Bryce. You could spend 2 days in the first two, one in the last.

Then, add in time to drive there and back, either from SLC or Las Vegas.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

I second going to S.W. Utah. About 3.5 hours from Vegas. You should definitely stop at the Hoover Dam. Great climate. Must visits;

Zion, Bryce, North Rim Grand Canyon, & Cedar Breaks. Do a little homework & I think you'll be sold. If you've never been to the area you will be amazed! I promise!

Tim Simko

CT
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

Don't feel bad, I am from New England too and initially thought a family vacation to GTNP & Yellowstone would be a good April vacation destination. We went to Sedona and GC last April break so it made sense to me until I looked at the average temps. So we will go in August I think.

If you haven't gone to Sedona and the GC, April is a wonderful time. Not too hot to hike and still nice swimming weather. We fell in love with Sedona and my son (12 yrs old) loved hiking into the GC although the Pink Jeep tour in Sedona was his favorite. Send me a pm if you want details of our trip.

9. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in April w/ 2 boys 14 & 12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:17