We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

Hello fellow travellers. coming from the UK 30th May for 12 nights to Denver. party of 4 Adults, not knowing the area at all, i need your help with our itinerary; we're planning to leave Denver and head to Mt. Rushmore, then on to Yellowstone and back down to Denver.

the partys' interests, apart from the fantastic scenery and wildlife,need to accomodate a taste of flyfishing, scrapbooking stores, photography, and the usual tourist attractions along the way, possibly a rodeo and i hear there are local custom car shows to take in.

we shall be looking to stay 1 or 2 nights in budget hotels(not low budget) but as the £ is weak to the $

money will have to be wisely spent.

we shallhave one vehicle, and don't mind putting in the driving hours to help out on the route if necessary.

any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks, Scrimmage.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

Hi Scrimmage !! Happy New Year and Welcome to the American West.

There is a lot of good information here on a similar type trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973-i480-k24047…

Here are some web sites about the places you may encounter. Cody Wyoming, Buffalo Bill Historic Center !!

Scenic driving

http://byways.org/

Mountain scenic driving

away.com/tripideas/united-states-driving-tou…

Lewis and Clark Trail

http://www.nps.gov/lecl/

Oregon Trail

http://www.nps.gov/oreg/

Cody Wyoming

http://www.codychamber.org/

Have a great time !!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

Scrimmage: Here is a sample of my itinerary last year. It included many popular spots. I hope I did not forget any. It all was great. You could make some changes and drive back to Denver instead of SLC.It will be a great trip!

Day 1- Arrive Denver mid-day Drive to Estes Park

Day 2 RMNP- Trail Ridge Road

Day 3 RMNP to Custer/Hill City SD area to see Mt. Rushmore

Day 4 Visit Mt. Rushmore/ Custer State Park/Needles Hwy. Jewel Cave.

Day 5 Badlands during day. Also Visit Wall Drug. Drive to Sundance WY overnight and visit Devil's Tower.

Day 6 Drive from Sundance to Cody. Visit museum and rodeo at night. See Native American Pow Wow in town.

Day 7 Loop of Cody-Red Lodge-BEARTOOTH HWY-Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy-Cody. See museum/rodeo if missed it day before.

Day 8 Drive to East Entrance of Yellowstone and on to Old Faithful. Explore area Day 8 and maybe 9.

Day 9 & 10 Overnight Canyon- WIldlife Viewing

Day 11 Roosevelt- WIldlife Viewing

Day 12,13 Tetons- Signal Mountain Lodge.

Day 14 Drive to SLC

Day 15 Fly out of SLC

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

We did that trip last June. Here is what we did-

Day 1- arrive in Denver, get car and drive to Keystone, SD (it was a long day and you could stop in Cheyenne for the night)

Day 2- Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Custer State park- eat at State Game Lodge buffet for lunch- great bison stew- Mt. Rushmore night program

Day 3- Custer State Park wildlife loop and Wind/Jewel Cave.

Day 4- Deadwood, Devil's Tower, Sundance, Battle of Little Bighorn

Day 5,6,7,8- Yellowstone National park- make reservations for park or stay in West Yellowstone or Gardiner- we prefer West Yellowstone

Day 9-10- Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole- do a float trip on Snake River- we like Barker-Ewing

Day 11- Cody- Buffalo Bill museums and Cody Nite Rodeo

Day 12- Drive from Cody thru Wind River to Casper and then to Cheyenne and Denver.

If you have other questions just let us know. Hope this helps with your planning. This was our second trip to YNP and GT. We did Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, YNP and GT in May 2007.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

Scrimmage:

Here is a series of articles about the interior roads in Yellowstone, what to look for, what to see, where to stop and a smattering of history.

thebigskysun.com/article.cfm?articleID=4345

thebigskysun.com/article.cfm?articleID=4387

thebigskysun.com/article.cfm?articleID=6671

www.thebigskysun.com/article.cfm…

You can also check this website for a listing of events and maps showing where to do activities for the cities in Montana surrounding Yellowstone park:

www.yellowstonecountry.net

West Yellowstone has some motels with more economical pricing as well as local events and flyfishing stores. YOu can visit many of the local flyfishing stores here for rental equipment, advice or guides. This website is:

wqww.destinationyellowstone.com.

Just post your questions as they come up and people will give you lots of ideas and advice!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

Most of the suggestions above cover the segments form Denver to YNP pretty well. For the last portions back to Denver I would highly recommend leaving from Grand Teton area via US 26/287 and taking the 287 branch to Lander. A chunk of this parallels the historic Oregon trail and a small side trip at the junction with WY 220 takes you to Independence Rock there the pioneers wrote their names and dates on the top. Very interesting, do climb (walk) to the top.

Then back to US 287 and across the Great Divide Basin that sits astride the continental divide. Instead of water flowing to the Atlantic or Pacific oceans the basin does not drain anywhere. It would be another Salt Lake if it were not so arid.

Short bit on Interstate 80 from Rawlins to Walcott then WY 130 to Laramie via the Snowy Range Scenic Byway. Extreme spectacular mountain scenery. With trip starting at end of May by the time you get to this area the pass should have been open a couple weeks.

Also...on the way up to the Black Hills exit from I-25 at Orin (mile 126) and use US 18 and US 85 up to Newcastle via Lusk. Very scenic and green in the Spring along the edge of the Thunder Basin National Grassland. That time of year the "antelope" (actually Proghorns...neither true antelope or goat) should have had their fawns and you'll see so many adults they'll be beyond counting. Hopefully you'll see some running (more hopefully parallel to the road rather than across) because they can hit nearly 100kph...fastest critter in North America.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

By now you will have noted the suggestions re: number of days inside YNP. And for good reason. :)

If you select my name, then Inside Pages, you will find three collaborative TA pages on YNP (binoculars, packing, etc.) that will make your trip more enjoyable.

You will need to make reservations inside or outside the park quite soon.

If I had one major suggestion, it would be to start your plan with YNP as a very major focus, then work backward and forward from there.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

Flyfishing abounds, but you will of course need licenses. The YNP website discusses fishing in the park.

Fantastic scenery abounds, and the routes suggested above will amaze.

Photography? Again, see the Inside Pages for the article on Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Photography, etc. Do bring binoculars; they will heighted your experience.

Scrapbooking stores? Can't help there but I assume that can be done when you return home.

Buffalo Bill Museums in Cody, WY? These museums, in one complex, are truly an incredible find and not to be missed.

Lodging? You might check out reviews, pricing, etc. by selecting the Hotels tab, left hand column, for each city or location where you might be staying.

I'm a fan for staying in the park for the National Park experience, and ease of being up early, staying out late, for dawn and dusk viewing of the wildlife -and, of course, less traffic/fewer people.

London, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

Thanks to all for your prompt, informative replies,looks like i need a couple of months to really appreciate the area!! i'll post my itinerary when its finalised, 80% booked, just the finishing touches to confirm

anyone recommend rafting companies in the yellowstone/Teton park areas?

Thanks, Scrimmage.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

We stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge and used their inhouse raft trip on the Snake River. The guide was named Peter and he was excellent. He gave us a lot of advice on roads in the area where there would be a good chance to see wildlife. It was convenient because we just walked down from our cabin, got on the van and were returned there several hours later.

We did a similiar trip last spring. We spent about 3 hours in the badlands on an out of the way route from Custer to Sundance. I wish we had had more time in South Dakota, but I am thankful we saw Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park and the Badlands, albeit briefly.

You are in for a great trip. Have fun!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need help with a 12 day Denver round trip.

Ditto on the Signal Mountain Lodge trip and the guide Peter. Nice trip, informative guide and it was conveneint.