We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which campground in Yellowstone?

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
which campground in Yellowstone?

My trip will be late August, probably early September. I am camping in an Aliner Scout popup.

Don't need electricity etc. More interested in wildlife than the geysers. What campground do you recommend?

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

Have done some research and I am leaning toward Madison. Staying in the park will cut back on some driving time and allow more time to hike, hang out, and enjoy the scenery. Have heard great things about the wildlife in the area. Is Madison likely to be any colder than anywhere else? I am not interested in freezing, although I have the clothing and will be fine in the day. My camper is a new one and this will be my first trip to Yellowstone and this elevation in it, so I just want to be prepared. Any suggestions?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

I can't really compare the campgrounds but Canyon is a better location than Madison, in my opinioin. You're very near Hayden Valley. You're a very reasonable drive over Dunraven Pass to Lamar Valley. Those are the two prime wildlife areas although you never know for sure what you'll see where.

From Madison, you're 50 minutes to an hour from Hayden Valley.

Here's a link to the closing schedules for 2008. I assume 2009 will be similar. Note which ones have showers.

nps.gov/yell/…camping-in-yellowstone.htm

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

Agree, Canyon...

chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

Why not see them for yourself before you decide?

parkcamper.com/Yellowstone-National-Park/Yel…

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

At that time of year, there's more wildlife near Canyon ... Hayden Valley and Dunraven Pass. Earlier in the year, I'd suggest Madison, but have found that late season at Canyon is more rewarding.

chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

Kme -

Any luck on choosing a campground? For wildlife you can't go wrong with Tower, Norris, Slough, Pebble Creek or Canyon.

Also consider Grand Teton which is loaded with wildlife. Colter Bay campground is excellent.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

I have made reservations for the week at Canyon. I do want to go to the Tetons and the National Elk Refuge. Should I make this a day trip, or should I camp there, perhaps after my time in Yellowstone?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

It depends on where you are going to/from at the ends of your trip.

Tetons and the Elk Refuge shouldn't be missed given your time in the area.

It would be too long a day trip, especially from Canyon. The Teton Visitor Center in Moose, WY is very informative. The elk might still be in the high country and not easily viewed, but there's a nice little visitor center at the refuge.

Since you are coming from Mesa, might I assume you will at some point wind up on I15? Fitting Teton/Elk Refuge/Jackson in would be very easy to do.

chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

Definitely camp there after your time in Yellowstone. It's very different. Think stunning alpine splendor. I recommend Colter Bay campground which is about a dozen miles south of Yellowstone.

Dunkirk, NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which campground in Yellowstone?

We will be camping 2 nights in Yellowstone in late june. How cold will it be?

And can you give me a recommendation as far as campgrounds? (not sure which will have sites available at this point- booking so late)

Canyon sounds great. We definitely want hot showers and flush toilets nearby.

Wildlife viewing and a scenic surrounding are top priorities. Water nearby (especially a river/creek) would be a big bonus.

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...