We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to spend the most time

Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
where to spend the most time

I hate to be a pain but can anyone tell me how much time they would spend in each area? I just watched a special on the news about glacier park not having much in the way of glaciers anymore. If I will be there at the END of summer, is it going to be as awesome as AKJ's pics? Would I see more wildlife in the tetons or yellowstone or glacier in early through mid september. I have been to Ystone and Tetons and Rushmore, but never to Montana. Should I spend more time in surrounding areas or all in the parks? Where would you fish? Where would you take a horse back ride? What do YOU love and why? THANKS so much everyone, I am learning so much from all of you!

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to spend the most time

While I can not speak for Glacier that much, I can tell you that from what I have heard from those who have visited it, Glacier is more about the magnificent scenery, views and vistas, with some wildlife sightings possible. Where Yellowstone has the spectacular scenery, but it also has much more visible wildlife, including the bison, elk, bears and my personal favorites, the wolves.

> What do YOU love and why? <

Being an avid wolfer and wildlife photographer, I love Yelowstone's northern Range, particularly from Hellroaring Gorge through Lamar Valley. Why? Because that's where several wolfpacks, including the Ox-Bows, the Aggates, the Slough Creek, and the Druid Peak packs call home, and where the highest concentration of observable wolf behavior is usually found! The area is alive with roaming herds of bison, and elk, and while not as numerous, grizzly and black bear sightings are not uncommon either.

If wildlife is what you want to see, then I would definitly suggest spending time in the northern range. Technically, part of that range is in Montana anyway, though if you missed the sign you would never know the difference!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to spend the most time

Saw your other post, and wish you and yours well through trying times.

Glacier NP: It is more awesome than a photo can show, and to be "in" in the picture is thrilling. Forget about whether there are glaciers; it is an awesomely beautiful park. It is a hiker's park in that trails go through and lead, even short ones, to eye blowing scenery.

Wildlife: YNP; but, you might well see wildlife in GNP, but as Hawkeye says, YNP is the place for that. If interested in wildlife observation and photography, YNP.

Fishing: Cannot help. You might Google and inquire of local guides nearby both NP's.

Horseback Rides: Have not done it but they are available both places and, again, I believe GNP offers a more beautiful experience.

Ultimately, it depends on what you seek and how much time you have, as noted in one of my earlier replies.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to spend the most time

How long to spend in YNP depends on the condition and ages of the travelers. We went with our 3 kids; 5, 2, 1 and were limited to a max of a 3/4 mile hike. We saw everything we could and spent two days there (with our limited hike distance).

I would go through the Tetons, I was there when I was little and wish we would have done it again! Do NOT miss the drive through Beartooth pass. Awesome!

Can't help you with Glacier park, we have never been there but want to go!

Have fun!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to spend the most time

G-momma- What do you want to do in Glacier? Do you like to hike on trails or back-country? Do you like taking a tour? (Great red bus tours on the GOing-to-the-Sun road and/or tours offered by a local Native American Indian company fron that area with very interesting information) Do you like to go for boat rides?

Glacier is a beautiful park with different options. I think the length of your time there should be determined by the activities you want to do. For example, if you are a serious hiker, there are a number of different trails that you could do (using the red bus drop-offs) and you would want to add an extra couple days. In two days (not counting late arrival or departure), you could see the glaciers, drive through the park including the Going-to-the-Sun Higway, take a boat ride on Lake McDonald and spent several nights in one of the great historic lodges.

5. Re: where to spend the most time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 07:19