We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canoeing

Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
canoeing

Is there canoeing in the park? My son said he watched a DVD about Yellowstone and they offer canoeing in the park? I can not find any info on the Yellowstone website about canoeing on a river. I found boating on the lake but that is not what he saw or wants to do. Any ideas on what he might have seen?

Thanks in advance

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canoeing

Most or the rivers in Yellowstone are not really suited to canoeing. The current is swift, the water fairly cold, and there is whitewater or waterfalls to contend with. I believe that there were canoes to rent for Yellowstone Lake but even this isn't on my recommended list as it is a big lake and the wind can be a big problem.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canoeing

I agree with RM about the difficulties of canoeing in the Park - especially on the Lake - very cold, windy and deep. It's not something you want to try on your own. The West Thumb area is a bit more protected - my family has taken our Avon raft out there to fish, but I still wouldn't recommend it to newcomers - especially not for canoeing.

I did find this link though, which may be of help:http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/boatbusn.htm

It's for commercial companies based outside the Park that have permits for in-park activities. There's a section on guided canoeing and also kayaking, both of which would be fun.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canoeing

Well, that didn't seem to work too well - try again:

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/boatbusn.htm

4. Re: canoeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 23:19