We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exciting short tours in mid-June?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
517 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Exciting short tours in mid-June?

We'll be in Yellowstone in mid-June and are hoping for some kind of short yet really unique/memorable tour to take there. Any suggestions?

The idea that I've had is some kind of horseback (or mule) tour, lasting a couple hours or something, preferably in the Hayden valley in order to see all the wildlife. Anyone know any companies that would offer something like this? Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exciting short tours in mid-June?

Dan,

Try this link to riding information in Yellowstone;

yellowstonepark.com/Things/…

There are also several coach and van tours that will take you through the park. However most of us feel that the best way to fully enjoy the experience is by driving ourselves, so that we can take our time, and stop when and where we like, for as long as we like. If narration and education is important to you, then you will probably want to take a tour. But be advised that there is no place within the park that any tour can take you, that you can not go by yourself. The roads are good, the driving is easy, and everything is well signed. Upon entering the park, you will be given an information packet along with a map, and there are visitor centers located throughout the park.

A lot depends on how much time you will have to be in the park. If you have not yet made firm plans, I would suggest allowing at least three or four days to enjoy all that Yellowstone has to offer. And get your reservations locked in soon, as things within the park tend to fill up early!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exciting short tours in mid-June?

We were there thie past June and had a great time. Here's a link to a trip report and pictures.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_home.htm

Click on Yellowstone 2008 at the top.

You can see a lot in YNP without leaving your car. You don't really need a guide but you might learn something extra. IN 2007, we went out with Yellowstone Yearround Adventures in a van.

Having a spotting scope will let you see more wildlife. We would have missed a lot on our last trip without one.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
517 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exciting short tours in mid-June?

Thanks for the replies. :) We will of course be doing plenty of exploration on our own, it's just that since two of us (out of three) have never been on a horse before, we were really thinking that doing some kind of short tour like this would be a really unique experience and allow us some extra insight into the park that we wouldn't get on our own, either. If anyone knows any such tours (especially in Hayden area) that would be great.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
517 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exciting short tours in mid-June?

Oh I missed the riding link -- thanks, will take a look!

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exciting short tours in mid-June?

Dan,

Here's another link for horseback riding:

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/horseride.htm

They don't go out into Hayden Valley, but any of the others would be an enjoyable experience. I would suggest scheduling an afternoon ride and combining the ride with a cookout - those are fun too. I haven't done the ride at Mammoth, but have seen lots of wildlife - especially bison - on both the Canyon and the Roosevelt rides.

Good Luck!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exciting short tours in mid-June?

We did the Roosevelt cookout last time we were there and found it very enjoyable. My husband and eldest daughter did the 1 hour horseback ride to the cookout and my youngest and I rode the wagon-all 4 of us had a great time. We had a coyote running alongside our wagon and also saw some pronghorns-my horseback riders can't remember if they saw any wildlife! You can also choose to do a 2 hour horseback ride to the cookout.

The cookout is fun and good eating-steak, corn, beans, etc and a cowboy singer. The outing looks a little pricey before you get there, but for the dinner and transportation included,wagon or horse, it's not a bad deal and really is a pretty unique experience. We all have very fond memories of it.

7. Re: Exciting short tours in mid-June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 22:18