We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family of 6 road trip-yellowstone

Gainesville Ga
1 post
Save Topic
family of 6 road trip-yellowstone

My husband and I are in the process of planning a roadtrip for our family of 6 from Atlanta, Ga to Denver, Rockies, Tetons, Yellowstone and then up to Red Lodge.....What is a good itenerary for coming into the Yellowstone from the Tetons? Lodging? We want to spend about three days in the park and then take the drive to Red Lodge.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family of 6 road trip-yellowstone

I'd suggest you come up from the Tetons to Grant Village and take a right toward Lake but plan your night's stay at Canyon. Canyon is more toward the central east of the park and makes a nice place to make a day trip to the south to see the Hayden Valley for the wildlife or toward Artist's Point. Going north from there will get you up and over Dunraven pass next to Mt. Washburn and on up to Roosevelt and east into the Lamar valley. I'd suggest at least a couple of nights at Canyon. Then I'd look at moving to Old Faithful for a couple of nights so you would have time to see the upper, middle, and lower geyser basins. Make sure you find Grand Prismatic Spring and the Artists Paint Pots. (did you notice I added a night in Yellowstone for you) If you get overwhelmed by the crowds, take a hike. If you get a quarter of a mile off the beaten path, you may not see more than a few people. Leaving from Old Faithful, drive up to Mammoth and then head east through Roosevelt and Cooke City to get to Red Lodge which will get you the drive over the Beartooth Highway.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family of 6 road trip-yellowstone

Big and fabulous trip, good for you and your family! I have some questions for you that might help our responses.

How old are the kids? (Junior Ranger program.)

How much time have you allotted for this entire trip?

Have you a rough itinerary? For example, nights at what locations across the country?

This draft itinerary will enable us to answer other questions, including those in your OP.

And some general comments. I would pick one location inside the park, suggest Canyon or Lake. It will save driving in and out of the park every day, though there are benefits of being in, though I'd suggest, visiting, W. Yellowstone. And the experience of being in the park each day (perhaps a bison at your door) and being able to get up early and stay out late will be beneficial, w/o driving in the dark to get outside the park. (I know, getting the kids up early!!!)

Lodging in one location does require backtracking within the park, but you might not notice as there is so much to see and the "picture" changes each drive. But to my mind, one location precludes the horror of packing/unpacking several times - I'm exaggerating, but with four kids?

I'd also suggest at least three full days in the park. I say this because you used the word "about" and I hope you did not mean possibly less than three days. It can be done but it's a huge park and the park sets its own pace for sightseeing.

Here are a couple of Inside Pages that are useful in several ways.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c100586/Wyomin…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,068 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family of 6 road trip-yellowstone

We did part of that trip last year but flew in and out of Denver. I would spend at least 3 days in YNP. If you want to stay in the park then go ahead and call Xanterra now. The Rockies are beautiful but I think that you will fall in love with YNP and GT. Are you going to spend a day in Cody?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family of 6 road trip-yellowstone

I am a huge advocate of staying inside the park at Yellowstone. However, my one complaint, if you can call it that, is that the lodging within the park at Yellowstone does not lend itself to larger families. Granted, we've only stayed at cabins so I can not speak on hotel rooms, but the cabins seem to be strictly for a max of 4 people-I think you'd be hard pressed to even fit an air mattress in them to accommodate extra members. This may be fine if you can afford 2 rooms but I know that would stretch my own personal budget.

That said, do allow at least 3 days-4 or 5 if you can. It will be an unforgettable family trip.

Are you planning on staying overnight in Red Lodge? If so, check out Chateau Rogue. They have some 2 story condos that would be perfect for your family. It's affordable and was very nice when we stayed there 4 years ago-one of my favorite overnight stops.

5. Re: family of 6 road trip-yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 02:17