We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which route?

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
which route?

I'll be leaving Cody Late morning, early afternoon, to see the Little Bighorn National monument, and will need to sleep in that area that night. We will leave the next day after seeing the sights for Deadwood. Which is my best route from Cody to the Bighorn area I'm interested in? I have us sleeping in Billings, because I didn't know where to spend the night, where they may be decent lodging. Do I have it right? Thanks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which route?

Billings would work, and put you 45 minutes to an hour from Little Bighorn. Probably your only other option would be to stay in Hardin, MT which is only 10 or 15 minutes from the Battlefield. Haven't stayed there myself, and looks like they only have a few motels, but there is a Super 8 that has lots of good, recent reviews on here.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,662 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which route?

I'd stay in Billings or Sheridan. There is nothing around Battle of Little Bighorn. We were there in June 2008 and we stayed at Quality inn in Homestead area of Billings.

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which route?

Thank you. I do have a reservation in Billings, made a while ago, at the C'mon Inn. It looked nice. I started getting second thoughts about it, thinking I routed us wrong, and I did see decent reviews for the super 8, but the thought of being in the middle of nowhere, vs. Billings isn't great either. Thanks again for the advice, and I'll probably stick with Billings then.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: which route?

There are basically 2 ways to get to the Little BigHorn Battlefield from Cody. One way is to to up on Hwy 120 into MT and get on I90 just west of Billings and then go south on I90 to Little BigHorn Battlefield. If that is the case Billings would be a good place to stay the night. The C'Mon Inn is easy access off the interstate and there are multiple restaurants in the vacinity. If you want to stay in a smaller town Laurel is a good place too. Laurel is the town just as you get to I90.

The other way to get to the battlefield is to go east from Cody (there are 2 hwys you can take) and get on I90 at Ranchester (about 5 miles south of MT border) and then go north to the Little BigHorn Battlefield. If you did go that route it would make sense to stay in Hardin. Hardin is a small town but I imagine the Super 8 is ok. Hardin is about 50 miles south of Billings and I think its about 10 miles between Hardin and the battlefield.

Do you have plans on going over Beartooth Pass? My recommendation would be to leave Cody and take Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy to Beartooth Pass and then to Billings through Red Lodge. It is definately worth the trip especially if you've never been there before.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: which route?

Are you planning on seeing the battlefield the same day you leave Cody or the next day (after spending the night in Billings)?

There are basically 2 ways to get to the Little BigHorn Battlefield from Cody. One way is to go north on Hwy 120 into MT and get on I90 just west of Billings and then go south on I90 to Little BigHorn Battlefield. If that is the case Billings would be a good place to stay the night. The C'Mon Inn is easy access off the interstate and there are multiple restaurants in the vicinity. If you want to stay in a smaller town, Laurel is a good place too. Laurel is the town just as you get to I90.

The other way to get to the battlefield is to go east from Cody (there are 2 hwys you can take) and get on I90 at Ranchester (about 5 miles south of MT border) and then go north to the Little BigHorn Battlefield. If you did go that route it would make sense to stay in Hardin. Hardin is a small town but I imagine the Super 8 is ok. Hardin is about 50 miles south of Billings and I think its about 10 miles between Hardin and the battlefield.

Do you have plans on going over Beartooth Pass? My recommendation would be to leave Cody and take Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy to Beartooth Pass and then to Billings through Red Lodge. Stay in Billings that night, drive to the battlefield the next day and then on to Deadwood. It is definately worth the trip especially if you've never been over the pass before.

Deb

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: which route?

hmmm....don't know why it posted twice. oh well....

Deb

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which route?

Hi thank you. No we are not doing the beartooth. We would have to backtrack, as we are re-entering the park from Gardiner. starting in jackson, going up through park, leaving through west yellowstone, onto Virginia city. Sleeping a night in ennis, and then gardiner, we are re-entering, driving through and out through cody. sleeping in Cody. I'm not sure how long it will take to get to bighorn, but if there is enough time the day I leave Cody, yes we could visit. I think I'll leave Cody in the late morning, early afternoon. That's why I'm up in the air as to where to sleep. We thought we would drive up to Billings, sleep, start out the next day, drive through Bighorn, hang around awhile, and then head out for our next hotel reservation in Deadwood. If we were to stay in Hardin, are there any places to eat besides fast food? Thanks again

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: which route?

You don't have to go back into YNP from Cody to go up over Beartooth Pass. You go north from Cody on 120 until the Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy turnoff. From their you go NW until you get to a junction about 13 miles east of Cooke City. You turn right there and go up over the pass to Red Lodge and then on to I90 and Billings. Going that way is approx 176 miles though you will have to slow down while driving the 60 miles over the pass. It is a unbelievably beautiful drive.

It is about 110 miles from Cody to Billings going north on Hwy 120 into MT. You then drive until you get to a junction with Hwy 310, turn right and go to I90 and Billings. From Billings to Little Bighorn Battlefield is about 64 miles.

From Cody east to Ranchestor on Hwy 14 is about 132 miles. You then turn on I90 and go north to Hardin which is about 70 miles for a total of 202 miles. I've heard the drive through the BigHorn Mountains are pretty but I've never been there.

Its been ages since I've been to Hardin and then I've just driven through it. I know there is (or used to be) a restaurant called "The Purple Cow" just off the exit that is supposed to be a good family/truck stop restaurant but I don't know about any other places. You might want to google Hardin restaurants.

Deb

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which route?

It seems to me from what info you have given me, I'd be foolish to pass up the beartooth hwy. If I'm figuring right, if I leave Cody about noon, I could still be in Billings by dinnertime. I'll just have to make sure I leave an extra hour the next day for travel to the bighorn area. Is there a lot to see in that area or just really the monument? We are heading to deadwood that day, would we have time to enjoy the bighorn area and still get to deadwood by around dinner time? Thanks. I didn't have time to mapquest it all yet, but I don't know what to expect timewise in the bighorn area.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: which route?

I've lived in Montana all my life and in Billings for the last 22 years and I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to the Little BigHorn Battlefield. I won't be able to help you with what is there and how much time it would take. I think there is a museum/interpretation center and then you can drive a road through the battlefield. Hopefully, other posters will be able to help you.

Back to the pass- if you leave Cody by noon and drive up over the pass with a few stops along the way for taking pictures you'll easily make it to Billings by dinner time. I've never driven the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway but once you get off the pass on the Red Lodge side you can drive 70 mph on Hwy 312 and 75 mph once you get on I90.

You'll definately have more choices for eating in Billings. Restaurants very close to C'Mon Inn include Perkins, Denny's, Texas RoadHouse, HuHot, Fuddruckers, Jade Palace, Bruno's (Italian), Outback SteakHouse, Olive Garden, Red Lobster. A Chicago Pasta and Pizza, Johnny Carino's and Famous Dave's Ribs are up the street about a mile. There is also a Cracker Barrel on the south side of the interstate.

Deb