We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd trip to Yellowstone

Hartford...
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2nd trip to Yellowstone

My family and I will be visitng Yellowstone/GT parks at the end of July. It will be the first visit for my boys (20 & 17). My wife and I have not been there since we visited 25 years ago as part of our cross country honeymoon.

Should I anticipate that it will be much different than I remember? Also...indoing some research I came across float trips on the Snake River. Are these wothwhile?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,927 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

You will certainly enjoy your trip. We came out west in 1977 but have done YNP/GT in 2007, 2008 and will be there again in August 2009. A Snake River float trip is great. In 2007 my teenage son and daughter loved our float trip with Barker-Ewing. You get to see beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife. My kids liked staying outside the park in West Yellowstone and Jackson Hole especially. I like in the park at Old Faithful and Lake Yellowstone. The book Yellowstone Treasures is a great resource for helping to plan your trip.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

I think that the main differences you'll notice will be the residual effects of the 1988 fires. Although there has been a lot of regrowth since then, there are still areas where the damage is quite evident.

However, Yellowstone is still magnificent and I'm sure you and your family will have a great trip!

Also, the float trips are awesome - I would consider doing the whitewater rather than the straight float though. At that time of year, the water is low and the rapids are pretty mellow. Whichever you choose will be fun. I too would recommend Barker-Ewing, and I have heard good things about Dave Hansen also.

Have fun!!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

I found upon returning that, having gotten involved in birding, that much of my time now is spent watching wildlife, being more relaxed about what to see and when. With that in mind, you might consider this Inside Page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

Also, bring along, or buy locally, a large cheap cooler for beverages and food. Then, you won't get caught out hungry when you are watching something of particular interest and are considering a return to a restaurant.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

CeCeDouglasville-

The last time we went to Yellowstone we camped at a KOA in West Yellowstone and it turned out to be a very convenient location for us. This time we are flying into Salt Lake and for ease of travel to and from there, we will again be stayinging in West Yellowstone and we will just be doing a day trip to GTNP. We only have a week total and I wanted to avoid hotel hopping.

heypaula717-

Do you really think the white water wouldn't be to rough? While we like the outdoors, we are from from an "outdoorsy" family. I don't want to bite off more than we can chew.

Both of you have recommended Barker-Ewing which is a name I have seen more than once, especially in a thread on the GTNP forums? Do either of you know anthing about the other float trip companies or is Barker-Ewing they your top pick?

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

tenorct - I think you would do fine with the whitewater trip. The companies' main source of business is tourists, so they make the floats "user-friendly". Your sons especially would enjoy it - I think they would be bored with the straight float - beautiful though it is. CeCe has done the float more recently than I have and maybe can give you more specifics.

I would call either Barker-Ewing or Dave Hansen. Don't be afraid to express your concerns - they hear it all the time (they did from me!). They can describe the various options they have available as far as degree of difficulty, etc. I had my doubts when we went, but did it because my 3 boys - all teens at the time - were so adamant about wanting the "real thing". It was great - most of the trip was floating, with enough whitewater to make it fun for everyone - even me -lol!

Good Luck - and Have Fun!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

I've been researching myself about the Snake River rafting. I've also heard great things about Barker Ewing & Dave Hansen's. Something I might suggest, they both have a combo whitewater and scenic raft trip. Rhonda

Hartford...
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

From all the responses it appears that these two concerns are the ones to pick from and should we do the rafting I will most likely choose one of them. My only concern is that we will be visiting GTNP as a day trip from Yellowstone(We are staying in West Yellowstone). I think I read, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the rafting trips leave from the Jackson area as opposed to float trips which leave from the Deadman's Bar area and is within the park confines. I didn't want to spend the day driving as opposed to enjoying the sights of the park. Is it not as far as the map makes it look?

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

I think it is even farther than the maps make it look. If you go through the parks, the speed limit is 45 or less and it is patrolled. They really frown on people who speed because there are animals that wander into the road all the time. Speaking of animals, you might also expect to stop and wait for animals to get out of the road or for people to move on so you can continue. Instead of driving all the way to Jackson to raft the Snake, check to see if a similar trip would go out of Gardiner, MT on the Yellowstone River. I have seen rafters on it in that vicinity but I have no experience with the companies or the water qualities there.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

There are raft trips from the West Yellowstone area too. Check out this company. http://www.montanawhitewater.com/

Note: I have no financial interest or experience with this company or any other rafting company.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2nd trip to Yellowstone

Thanks to everyone for all your help. I think at this point after considering all my options, I am going to opt for a float trip which will allow me more time in the park to enjoy the beautiful Tetons and make my day there a little more relaxing.