We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with this question

Omaha
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Need help with this question

On June 8th my girlfriend and I will be tent camping at Canyon village in Yellowstone, I know you can't predict weather, but if it is still too cold or snowing still, should we tent camp at Flagg Ranch, we will have 5 full days for the park.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with this question

It would be cold at Flagg Ranch as well. More importantly, you do not want to use the latter as a base for YNP; it's too far in distance and time, and YNP itself is huge and you will need a location there to adequately see it.

Omaha
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with this question

True with the traveling part where would one suggest, if things have not warmed up at canyon.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with this question

I'd grab any lodging available, and the Pioneer and Frontier Cabins are pretty cheap. Perhaps others have ideas.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with this question

We were at Canyon in a cabin that time last June. We met several campers getting warm in the lounge and restaurant. The same weather that made them uncomfortable kept others away so there were a few cabins availble on short notice.

Call it an adventure. Be ready for cold temps and some wind. The snow we got usually melted in the afternoon.

If you're interested, here's a link to a story and pics from that trip.

alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_trip_2008.htm

Canyon is a great location.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with this question

Do you like camping in the cold? Mind showers? If you are hardy weather campers and know how to stay warm, have fun! Your camping locations won't be crowded.

It is all dependent on what happens this spring as far as weather. And, in Yellowstone, that varies widely from year to year. Last year, there was still 4' of snow in some of the campsites at Canyon, but it was a heavy snow year and very late spring. In other years, you could be surrounded by wild flowers. Some years, it rains every day in June. Other years, it is dry.

I would check with Flagg Ranch on their cancellation policy. It might be wise to book a few nights and then keep checking the weather and make a decision on whether to keep the rooms or not closer to the cancellation date.

Omaha
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with this question

Again, thank you very much, I got the rough rider cabins at Roosevelt lodge, if things are too snowy or cold, So I have both booked and I will cancel one of them. I would still prefer to camp, but the cabin will work if need be. I would much rather stay in the park so thank you very much.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with this question

I love Roosevelt and the Rough Rider cabins. They aren't a lot warmer than your tent. We had trouble keeping a fire of any size going and it got cold at night.

Plenty of blankets so we slept warm and it was OK. With decent weather, the porch and rocking chairs at the lodge are way cool.

Omaha
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with this question

Again thank you very much as this will be our second choice, but it looks like a great spot to stay.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with this question

There are also cabins in Canyon Village; which is more centrally located than Roosevelt. Keep an eye out!

10. Re: Need help with this question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 03:18