We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you do at night?

GA
Level Contributor
120 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What do you do at night?

If you're staying inside the park, what is there to do in the evenings? I wouldn't imagine it would be safe to do a whole lot of walking around. Are there swimming pools at any of the cabins/lodges? Do people "congregate" in public areas to socialize? Just wondering since the cabins seem like they're only intended for sleeping and bathing. I'm not looking for nightclub action or anything of the sort, just merely wondering what you do.

Thanks in advance!

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you do at night?

No, there aren't any pools, or bars, or clubs for socializing after hours inside the parks. They do have talks by the park rangers at various locations, but generally speaking the nights are for relaxing and resting up for more time in the park tomorrow. Most people like to get an early start to their days, so not much at all goes on after dark. You're right about not walking around then, and driving in the park after dark isn't highly recommended either. That would be why the cabins appear to be only for "sleeping and bathing."

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you do at night?

Hawkeye is mainly correct, but there is generally piano music and gathering in the lobbies of Lake Hotel and Old Faithful Inn. There is a bar at OFI and then up on the 2nd Floor, right inside the deck over the front door overlooking the geyser basin is another bar. In both locations, there is a fair amount of seating available and people watching, with or without a cocktail is a favorite pastime.

We have had some wonderful conversations with strangers in each lobby. There is generally an interesting gift shop or two at each lodging location, so brousing also is a popular activity.

It stays light fairly late in the summer, so wildlife and/or thermal viewing until sunset is also popular. Anyone, whether you are staying there or not, can sit out on the OFI deck and watch the geyser basin.

I also take my laptop and although there currently isn't internet access, I download my photos from the day and organize them. I also spent some time with the lost art of writing postcards.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you do at night?

Picking up on your word "evening"... It's one of the best times to be at the valleys watching for emerging wildlife. You'll see plenty of scopes out, watching, waiting. Here's an Inside Page that will help in this regard:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

If, however, by evening you mean the late sunset, then the preceding posts provide good information.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you do at night?

I just recognized your name and realized I'd sent that URL earlier.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you do at night?

It depends where you are staying in the park, but star gazing is my favorite activity ... or moonlight viewing of Old Faithful. Keep an eye out for a ranger program you might be interested in.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you do at night?

We're usually up at 2:45 to catch the 6:00 AM flight out of Dulles. First morning in the park, we're up at 5:00AM out looking for wildlife. We don't have a lot left for the evenings. Maybe a run into Hayden or Lamar Valley.

Roosevelt Lodge has a front porch that's the best bar in the park in my opinion. You can sit around the fire in the lodge if its chilly. We've met a lot of people there.

The lounge at Canyon is OK too. We don't usually spend much time in the evenings there but its nice before dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,364 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you do at night?

Star gazing, campfires and sleep for us.

8. Re: What do you do at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 04:20