We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Yellowstone

hickory
3 posts
Save Topic
Food in Yellowstone

Got back from Yellowstone Aug 22. Just getting to make this post. Something that I don't usually do in the first place but feel I need to this time.

I try not to make food a priority on a trip such as this, after all we aren't on a cruise or anything where eating is really part of the vacation, but, "refueling" has to be an issue to some respect, and refueling in Yellowstone can become a real issue if you don't prepare for it. The Xanterra lodging is a bit of a let down to begin with but the food service aspect is.....really bad. We had read the posts, aware that everyone has there own opinions and standards, still willing to give it a try. Our first night, we were at the Tower/Roosevelt Lodge, staying in a cabin and decided to have dinner in the lodge. In my opinion the prices are high, but I don't mind paying a little more, if I get a good product. We barely got an edible product, and in my daughters case, we did not. The lettuce was precut and brown, all the veggies were overcooked, but the biggest problem was the chicken was undercooked. Of course my daughter had eaten a good portion of the chicken before I discovered that it was bloody in the center. Yuck!! On their behalf, they took the meal off our check.

The next night we stayed at the Lake Yellowstone cabin, looked at the Buffet for good measure and decided we even my children, would rather go hungry. Fortunately another company, sorry I can't remember the name of it, runs the little snack bars in the gift/grocery stores. Here we found a sufficient sandwich for a fair price, and a breakfast that was down right good. The wait staff in these gift shops are about as friendly as your grandma and grandpa and usually have some good tips for where to go see some unusual or spectacular things in the area.

To make this long desertaion short. Pack your own food if you can, realize you will eat mostly sandwich type food when in Yellowstone, admit to yourself you are not there for the food, and enjoy the wonderful things that Yellowstone has to offer.!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Yellowstone

Have to agree with you-we must have been there about the same time-we arrived back home on the 24th. Best food we had in the park was breakfast at Grant Village-breakfast sandwiches, hash browns and oj. We had planned on cooking out most of our meals but only did a few due to weather and the fact that groceries were so expensive-not only in the park but we also shopped in Red Lodge the night before we came in. If you are driving and are up to cooking, bring along a propane grill or stove-we did and stopped at picnic areas and had grilled cheese and soup and the like for lunch. We also brought in cereal, muffins etc for breakfasts. If you can do breakfast, snack for lunch and only buy dinner you will save some money and only have to subject yourself to bad food once a day. I have not heard good things about the "fancy" restaurants so you're probably better off eating cheap at the fast food type places. Also, we were close to Gardiner so ate there several times and were pleased. Same would hold true I imagine if you can get into West Yellowstone easily-more choice at the very least.

illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Yellowstone

All you say is true. That's why we hit the hit the hardware store in Red Lodge (great town) and bought a little propane grill (don't allow charcoal by cabins) for $19 and cooked our dinners. The usual burger and brat kind of fare. The only decent (looking) meals I saw (pricewise) at the restaurant, diner, buffet seemed to be breakfast; from what I've read, the quality ain't so great! The icecream in Canyon Village shop is very good, though!

My kids were not thrilled with the food, but it filled their bellies! The prices at the store (groceries) were actually not too bad. Much better than I had expected.

Oh yah, we got a block of ice (as opposed to cubes) and it lasted for 2 days in our (Walmart special, $20) cooler.