We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time

United States
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time

If you were in W. Yellowstone, how long would it take to drive to Cody, stopping along the Chief Highway at the sights. I assume Beartooth is still closed.

illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time

We did not do that route, but Beartoth is closed til late next summer. I do hjear Cody is great, but n0t cheap.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time

We came in along the Chief Joseph via Red Lodge, Montana to Cooke City and it is a pretty drive. You would have to pick up the Chief Joseph outside of Cooke City to take it to Cody. From West Yellowstone I think it would probably take you about 5-5/12 hours to Cody on that route without any stops, going Norris to Canyon to Tower to the Northeast entrance. You can also go out the East entrance to Cody and that is also a beautiful drive thru the Shoshone (I think) National Forest on 14 or hop on 14A for a slow but pretty ride through the Bighorns. Note that there are construction delays at both the Northeast and East entrances.