We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US $ Traveller Cheques

London, UK
Level Contributor
276 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
US $ Traveller Cheques

I am travelling from the UK in July to Yellowstone (staying in West Yellowstone) and also to Jackson. Are US $ traveller cheques widely accepted? We have been to other parts of the USA and some places accept them with no problem whilst other places need extra ID, hotel name and address, passport/driving licence number address etc etc which can be a bit of problem. What is Yellowstone, West Yellowstone and Jackson like for accepting them?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

The larger hotels most likely will accept them and you use them most places. Whether they ask you for id is up to each place. Smaller places in the west may only take cash or major credit card, so do not only carry travelers checks.

American Express are accepted most places. I just looked on their website and in West Yellowstone MT first Security Bank will exchange them for cash. In Jackson WY, there are 3 banks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

I think it may be worthwhile to contact Xanterra and find out the acceptance policy for them in the park. I used to always use them but stopped a few years ago because they were kind of a pain--certain retailers had no idea how to deal with them. If you were a US traveler I'd say forget it, but coming from the UK sheds a different light on the situation. I think the previous poster had some good info--can't hurt to get them and then convert them and just use the cash.

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
944 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

Does anyone know how many cash points (ATM's) there are in the park and where they're located? Would that be an easier option for you UKTraveller? I would imagine you could use your credit card almost everywhere as well.

Hope you have a safe trip over and a wonderful holiday!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
276 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

Thanks very much everyone - think I will take a bit of everything: cash, travellers cheques and a credit card. Have emailed Xanterra to see what their policy is.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

I'd leave the travellers cheques at home. A bit of cash for small purchases or places that won't take a credit card, and the credit card for all the rest.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

Traveller cheques are widely accepted here in West Yellowstone. More and more people are traveling with credit cards for security purposes.

Note that you will NOT be able to exchange foreign currency once you are in the Yellowstone area.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

I've only traveled out of the US on two occasions and while most of you probably know this, here are my two tips:

1. Make sure your credit card company knows you're going to be using it overseas or they may suspect fraud and cut you off--which could be bad!

2. Be aware of any exchange fees associated with using the card in another country. When we traveled to Canada, we determined which of our two cards charged the least, and only used that for our hotel, but still found it cheaper to bring cash for food and other incidentals.

London, UK
Level Contributor
276 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

Just had a reply back from Xanterra - they do accept US $ traveller cheques at all the facilities in the park - thought I'd pass this on just in case any other visitors were thinking of taking them.

9. Re: US $ Traveller Cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 03:17