We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner reservations in YNP?

Concord, California
Level Contributor
191 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner reservations in YNP?

My husband and I will be spending 4 nights in YNP, staying in a cabin at Canyon, beginning June 10th. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile and/or advisable to make reservations ahead of our trip for dinner at one or more of the lodges in the park?

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. How's the food? Are there options for a couple of semi-vegetarians (no beef or pork)? Is the ambiance in one of the restaurants particularly nice? How much should we expect to pay for dinner?

Any advice is appreciated.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner reservations in YNP?

Reservations are a must for dinner in the dining rooms at Old Faithful Inn, Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Lake Hotel. It's a national park open seasonally, so don't expect Wolfgang Puck. However, the food is usually good. Service can be spotty but generally is good as well.

Here's a link to OFI dining room which you should experience at least at lunch. Down the page is a link to menus with prices. travelyellowstone.com/old-faithful-inn-dinin… You can explore the other dining rooms via the same page.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner reservations in YNP?

From what I've read (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), only three of the restaurants in the park take reservations. Old Faithful Inn dining room, Lake Yellowstone Hotel dining room, and a dining room at the Grant Village hotel.

I've only ever eaten at the Yellowstone Lake Hotel dining room, but I was only 17 at the time and don't really remember it other than I thought it was good, LOL! It seems to get the highest marks out of the three, at least on Tripadvisor. They have the menu on-line; I'd link it but my computer won't do links for some reason! You can find it by going to the Xanterra website (travelyellowstone.com), and going to the dining link. They have the menus for all the sit-down restaurants in the park (not the cafeterias, though).

Kelly

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner reservations in YNP?

kren is correct about the reservations. During the summer season, Snow Lodge doesn't take dinner reservations, but you will need them at the other 3 places.

I haven't eaten dinner at Grant Village, but if you're looking for ambiance I would highly recommend OFI and/or the Lake Hotel dining rooms.

One thing is you should take into account is the drive back to Canyon. I wouldn't suggest doing that after dark. The wildlife is more active then and can be a real hazard in places. The Lake area is closer and would be a better option for that reason. The dining room there overlooks the Lake - and there is a lovely lobby where they usually have a pianist or string group playing before dinner.

You could still visit OFI's dining room when you go to Old Faithful - perhaps for lunch. If not, at least for a look around.

Have fun!

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner reservations in YNP?

I don't know about June, but I made reservations for dinner in mid August at OFI and they acted like they were starting to fill up the dinner reservations anyway

Concord, California
Level Contributor
191 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner reservations in YNP?

Thanks so much to all of you for your feedback. We'll plan to have lunch at OFI and make dinner reservations at Lake.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner reservations in YNP?

Didn't mean to pass along incorrect info. I think when we stayed at Snow Lodge3-4 yrs ago we made reservations for dinner, but I could be wrong.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
191 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner reservations in YNP?

Not to worry, Texhills. :)

8. Re: Dinner reservations in YNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 07:37