We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

I'm planning a week long trip to Yellowstone for June 2010. I'm trying to figure out where to stay and for how long, but right now my head is spinning around that famous figure 8 loop road. We will have 8 nights and will fly into Jackson, WY. Probably will stay at least one night in Jackson in order to do a Snake River rafting afternoon. Should I give that up to stay in GT? Once in Yellowstone, I know I'd like to stay for 2 nights in a Roughrider cabin at Roosevelt, and 2 nights at Old Faithful Inn. But should I also be considering a 2 night stay at a Canyon or Lake area cabin? I am not big on crowds and prefer a quieter location, but also one that makes sense. Also, how long does it take to drive from Jackson to Tower-Roosevelt in YNP? Any comments/suggestions on the above are greatly appreciated.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

I would recommend spending your first night in Jackson. That will give you time to look around, take your raft trip, and stock up on some things at one of the grocery stores. It's always helpful to have a cooler with drinks and snacks to take along with you into the Park.

The Canyon and Lake locations are the most central in YNP, so it would be good to spend a couple of nights there. Personally, I like the Lake area - great scenery and not as congested as Canyon. The Lodge has a porch with rockers facing the Lake - great place to sit with a beverage in the PM :-)

The drive from Jackson to Tower is a minimum of 2-3 hours - could be longer, depending on traffic and/or wildlife jams.

Sounds like a great trip - and glad that you're planning early.

Enjoy!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

Old Faithful Inn is probably/certainly the busiest part of the park, cars, buses, crowds (though the latter lessens considerably as you walk the trails and boardwalks. Canyon and Lake, as suggested above, are great locations. Glad you are prepared for lower cost lodging; they are for crashing after your very full days of sightseeing.

Some Inside Pages might help you...

For wildlife viewing and photography:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

Packing for your trip:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c100586/Wyomin…

Beebe, Arkansas
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

Distances are misleading. Depending on what you stop to view along the way will determine how long it takes. Be sure to have a cooler and picnic supplies since this will same time and due to limited places to buy food.The earlier that you can get out and about the better - fewer crowds and more wildlife. Road Construction in 2 places. The one near Norris and GT stopped us for about 15 minutes each time and you can count on there being consturction every year at some place in the park. The following is our three day trip report. We stayed first night in Jackson at Buckrail Lodge. Made reservations at Lodge for a Solitude float trip on Snake at sunset. Some other companies offer dinner/float. Saw a lot of birds but no other wildlife on float. Drove out to Jenny Lake and took boat trip/Hidden Falls hike. Very crowded. Next time I would go early in the morning to avoid crowd. Very lovely hike. Saw moose at Jenny Lake. Picnic and walk at String Lake and we drove on out to Jackson Lake, Oxbow bend, Antelope Flats and Snake River overlook (Saw pronghorns being attacked by coyotoes, elk, canadian geese, white pelicans and ospreys) looping back to Moose Entrance to catch our 5:30 float.Next morning we left early 6:30 - headed to Yelowstone. Saw 2 moose right after Moose Entrance of Grand Tenton, deer at Chapel of Transfiguration, great am photos of Chapel, Jackson Lake and Colter Bay. More pronghorns and elk. One mile past Yellowstone entrance stop at unmarked pullover and took short walk to Moose Falls. Also stopped at Lewis Falls and Kepler Cascades. Snowball fight on pass and on to Biscut Basin. At back of basin continued on to Mystic Falls. Easy hike to a beautiful falls. Marmots near falls. After stop at Grand Prismatic stopped for a picnic. Bison jams between their and Norris. Did Firehole River drivedrive - river and falls at full flow. Elk and babies along canyon and river just before falls. Norris to Mammoth- elk and pronghorns and on to Gardiner for night at Abroska Lodge. Arrived about 6pm. Long day but wanted to cover most sights along that section of the park. Next day 5am headed to Lamar Valley - on way saw moose, huge elk, herd of deer and bison. At Lamar huge bison herds running - grizzly across river. Shortly after Roveselt-on Tower road had a bear jam - 2 bears one black and a cinnammon bear were mating right at roads edge. Bison approached and bears reared up as if to attack. Bison quickly retreated and bears grazed and resumed mating. Understand that this is a rare sight to see bears mating especially at such a close distance. Continued on to Canyon to view the falls ( will spend the night here at Frontier Cabin), on to Hayden Valley, Lake area and Old Faithful. Herd of bison in parking lot and headed right out to the geysers. Rangers cleared them a way. Spent a short amount of time here since we have done this trip several times. Continued on to Norris Geyser Basin to see Steamboat - small eruption going on. Halfway out on boardwalk a hail storm occured that sent us scurrying to our car. Rewarded with an end to end rainbow on the loop back to Canyon. Late evening we headed out to Hayden Valley and was rewarded with a black wolf sighting and a grizzly across valley and many bison. Near dark when we finally checked in to small cabin. Next day 5am awoke to ice covering car and proch and a freezing fog. Drove out to Hayden but it was too foggy to see anyting other than a huge bison herd and many calves standing in the road. Returned to cabin to wait for fog to lift. About 8am headed back out to Hayden saw a wolf fording the river - fog was still thick. We gave up seeing another grizzly and headed back to Canyon for Brink of Falls and Upper falls for rainbow pictures. Checked out of cabin and headed back to Norris Basin to complete out walk. Took Firehole drive and was rewarded with geyser erruption that lasted an hour. Headed back through Grand Tetons and on to Dubois, Wy for the night. This was day 26 of our 28 day out west trip. Staying at Rosevelt is best for Lamar & Canyon is the best location for falls, and Hayden Valley.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

We also stayed at Buckrail Lodge in Jackson and did a Solitude rafting trip. We stayed in Jackson for two nights after spending three nights in Yellowstone in a Western Cabin in Canyon (which we were not extremely impressed with.) We enjoyed the Solitude trip but didn't see alot of wildlife like i was hoping for. We did see a moose but not real well. After that we went horseback riding at Teton Village which we really enjoyed.We also went to a Chuckwagon dinner at Bar J which we enjoyed as well.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

Here's some planning information we put together for Yellowstone.

alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_planning_a_t…

If you click on the Yellowstone and Grand Teton links on the left, there's a lot of other information as well. Including maps and sample itineraries.

I'd spend one night at Old Faithful and add the night to Roosevelt. Old Faithful is quite busy and Canyon is as well. Canyon is a nice location though.

Roosevelt also has a nice porch with rockers you can use while imbibing an adult beverage.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

Gatorgurl and Midgie,

We are also staying at the Buckrail in about 3 weeks. Did you have any trouble making your float trip reservations with Solitude at the last minute? I am hesitant to book too far in advance because of weather.

Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

We made our reservations last minute. I think you can actually make them at the Buckrail so you should have no problem.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. You just never know about weather.

9. Re: Round & round the figure 8 road; need help w/lodging & itin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 05:16