We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cook-out

England
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
cook-out

Hi, We will be travelling to Denver,in 3 weeks time and touring the rockies. We are stopping in Yellowstone for 3 days, we were thinking of doing the cook-out at Roosevelt, has anybody done it, is it worth the money? would you recommend it? we also have a 12 year old.

Many thanks.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cook-out

I've done the cookout, but not recently.

We enjoyed it at the time, as did our kids. It's a little pricey, but is a fun experience that I think you would enjoy.

England
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cook-out

thanks for that, we will def give it a try.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cook-out

Just want to be sure you know you need reservations for it-you should contact Xanterra immediately to see if they have any openings. We went 4 years ago--loved it--but booked it at least 5 months before we went.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cook-out

I told some one it wasn't the best steak I ever had but was one of the prettiest locations I ever had one.

Take time to talk to the wranglers too.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cook-out

Hi smittycity,

We attended the cookout last week and had a wonderful time. Hubby and I chose to take the wagon to the cookout site, while our 13-year old son (and other relatives) went by horseback.

All of us enjoyed the experience.

The two wranglers each wagon act as tour guides, pointing out wildlife and discussing the area, plants, and some history.

The food is plentiful and all-you-can-eat: steak, chicken, coleslaw, potato salad, corn bread muffins, watermelon, beans, corn, and peach cobbler. They also offer water, sodas, and made-over-the-fire coffee.

An entertainer sings western songs throughout the duration of the cookout.

I had read here on TA to stand by the food area in order to be first in line. This proved to be an excellent tip, as there are many people and the line is very long.

We made our reservations about 6 months before arriving in Yellowstone. The folks at Xanterra say that this is their most popular activity.

Hope this helps. Have a great time in Yellowstone!

6. Re: cook-out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:18