We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmobiling in Yellowstone... Canyons or Old Faithful?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Snowmobiling in Yellowstone... Canyons or Old Faithful?

My partner and I are hiring snowmobiles for two days around christmas with two top snowmobile rental. One of those days we will spend on a guided tour in Yellowstone. Problem is we have to choose between 2 tours. The Canyon tour or the Old Faithful tour. What do you recommend we choose? We have visited both areas in summer, but this will be our first trip in winter. Any info would be great. Thanks

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowmobiling in Yellowstone... Canyons or Old Faithful?

i'm not sure where you will be leaving from but i'd say old faithful. a few years ago when you didn't have to take guided tours into ynp we rented from flagg ranch & went to old faithful. it was a pretty long day but fun. i can't imagine driving all the way to the canyon area. that would just be too long for me.

one other idea for you that we really enjoyed is to rent from this place & go on your own through the togwotee national forest.

yellowstonerv.com/SnowmobileRentals/Unguided…

it's very well marked & you will see many others snowbiling so there's no need to be concerned about getting lost. you can rent for a half day & ride up to the togwotee lodge or keep if for a full day & go to brooks lake lodge.

http://www.brookslake.com/

http://www.togwoteelodge.com/index.cfm

both serve lunch & give you some great views along the way & much more free riding time in open fields. on a guided tour you do a lot more riding on the road for long periods of time which can be boring to me.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowmobiling in Yellowstone... Canyons or Old Faithful?

You will be leaving from West Yellowstone, Montana. Both are great rides, but if you have never been in Yellowstone in winter, I would suggest going to the Old Faithful area. The geyser and thermal features are totally different in the winter with billowing steam, frosty trees and landscapes, and make for incredible photos. Bison (buffalo) often stay near the warmer thermal areas as well making for some great images of shaggy, frost covered giants!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowmobiling in Yellowstone... Canyons or Old Faithful?

Thanks for the feedback :)

Ok, so the Old Faithful Tour it is!

The second day we have free range to get acquainted with some of the National Forest trails around West Yellowstone :) We can't wait!!!

4. Re: Snowmobiling in Yellowstone... Canyons or Old Faithful?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 06:19