We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute thoughts?

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute thoughts?

Leaving for Yellowstone on Sunday, arriving Tuesday. Towing a popup camper and camping for one week.

Anybody have any last minute thoughts or suggestions on your favorite sites, hikes, ranger talks or programs, places to eat, gift shops, visitor centers, things to do or NOT DO?

I'm feeling pretty prepared, but the experiences and knowledge of others is always a plus.

BTW, any suggested picnic areas? I plan to eat away from the campground as often as I can. Don't want to be bear bait!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute thoughts?

Relax, be flexible, take your time exploring,take advantage of the ranger-led hikes, and enjoy yourself! Oh, and most importantly, always, always, always save room for some Wilcoxin's ice cream (made in Montana) in the afternoon. Its delicious!

As far as picnic areas they are everywhere. Everyone has their favorites but mine has to be along the Yellowstone River north of Fishing Bridge. Its between the road and the river maybe about 5 miles north of Fishing Bridge. It has a nice sized parking lot and tables right next to the river. No bathrooms there though. There are other picnic areas in that stretch but they are on the west side of the river. Another great picnic area is along Gull Point Drive along Yellowstone Lake. The turnout for it is just south of Bridge Bay.

About not eating at your campground- I've been tentcamping at Bridge Bay Campground every year for 30 years and have tentcamped in the Beartooths many, many times. I've always bbq'd on grills and on the firepit. We always eat breakfast (usually pancakes, eggs, and sausage type meals) and suppers (usually burgers,hotdogs, steak, and cowboy potatoes) and have never had any problems with bears. Now chipmunks and camprobbers (birds) are another story LOL. You'll get information entering the park and also when you register at your campground about keeping a clean camp and putting everything away after you are finished eating. Follow those restrictions and you'll be fine. If a bear happens to wander through a campground the rangers are there so fast its unreal. They work hard on keeping bears out of the campgrounds because they don't want to have to destroy one that becomes habituated to people and easy food.

Deb

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute thoughts?

okay-- we're headed out next week for a trip from Ohio, to Rushmore/Badlands and on to Yellowstone, etc. This is the first I have heard of Wilcoxin's ice cream. I can't believe with all of my research and planning that I have overlooked such an important item! Locally made ice cream is a must. Where can I find this? :)

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute thoughts?

To: Wings.. there are ice cream counters in most general stores in Yellowstone. We usually get ours at the general store at Fishing Bridge but we've also gotten them at Old Faithful (in the lodge right across from OF Geyser that has the big cafeteria in it)and at Canyon's and Tower's general stores. They usually have about 10 different flavors of hard-served icecream. It has always been our tradition for a treat in the afternoon and we always look forward to it.

Deb

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute thoughts?

Ice Cream! I LOVE ice cream! Thank you SO much for that tidbit of information! I will be on the road for 11 days, and good ice cream would be hard to find! Thanks again!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute thoughts?

thanks! :)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute thoughts?

This link about picnic areas was on an earlier post and proved helpful for our visit:

http://www.us.national-parks.net/picnic.htm

We stopped at two very scenic picnic areas. The first was Nez Perce, between Old Faithful and Madison. There are picnic tables right by the river. It was a warm day so we took off our shoes and socks and put our feet in the river.

Another place we really enjoyed was Sheepeater Cliff, between Norris and Mammoth. There is a huge mound of rocks where marmots live. If you go there, walk up the hill to the left of the rocks. There is a natural amphitheater there.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute thoughts?

hmm..i must have missed the Wilcoxen ice cream on our last trip...I will remember that.

Go to the deck at the Old Faithful Inn and enjoy a nice cold Moose Drool while you wait to see OF erupt. It is a great way to relax and enjoy the evening..or afternoon break.

As previously mentioned , be flexible and remember that it is ok not to know what day of the week it is!

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestions! Less than 12 hours and I am on the road!

9. Re: Last minute thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...