We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake yellow stone to cody

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
lake yellow stone to cody

Hi have looked through past messages but cant seem to find distance (in time) between lake yelow stone hotel and cody. We have planed to go to cody for one night and then back to yellow stone, but is that not enough time! all help would be appreciated thanks

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

MapQuest says:

Total Travel Estimates, Cooke City to Cody: 1 hour 41 minutes / 76.71 miles

Add about 85 miles from Lake to Cooke City.

About 162 miles at, say, 45 MPH = 3.6 hours. If incorrect, please, well, correct you other folks.

I would say, do it. It'll be a chance to explore en route.

Some like the rodeo, others, many others, the Buffalo Bill Museums - and they are fascinating and well done, a remarkable effort for any town, much less one the size of, and relative isolation of, Cody.

If not familiar with MapQuest, strongly recommend learning to use it, a great boon for the traveler. Or, GoogleMaps.

BTW, when will you be here, and for how long?

Cody, WY www.bbhc.org/home/index.cfm…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,927 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

We did that last year but just drove from YNP to Cody and it was a good 2-2 and 1/2 hours drive. Cody has great museums and during the summer months a rodeo.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

Hi,

We just did this trip about 3 weeks ago. We drove from Cody down to Jackson, WY, but we made stops at Lake and West Thumb Geyser Basin along the way. It took us around 2 hours to get from Cody to the Fishing Bridge area, which isn't far from the Lake hotel.

I think 1 night in Cody would be enough, as you are close enough to get there fairly quickly. Plan on spending a good half day at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. If you choose to do the rodeo, that can be done at night. As Voyaging mentioned, the museums are outstanding; it IS truly amazing that a small town like Cody would have an attraction this magnificent! You will learn a lot at the exhibits.

Enjoy your trip!

Minneapolis,MN
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

I'm planning to make the Lake to Cody drive in two weeks. We are going to take one full day (out of 6)to go see Cody, and the Buffalo Bill museum. We are returning to Yellowstone by going north and coming in the NE entrance. It will be a long day, but that's ok.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

Why, oh why, did I assume you wanted the Beartooth Hwy? Sorry. :( Must have been in my head, it certainly was not in your OP. The shorter route is, of course, through the E, not NE, entrance.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

if you are staying over night, i would definately recommend the extra driving time home from cody going up to and across the beartooth, this is a road that does not disappoint. If you head out to cody reasonably early you have the whole day and if you leave cody by noonish, you can be back in yellowstone by dinner time in just about any of the areas. it depends on where you are spending your night after cody...

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
944 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

I had to drive to Cody from Lake at the end of June - my son got Swine Flu while in YNP and the Walmart in Cody was the closest place to get Tamiflu. It took about 1.5 hours each way (about 80 or so miles.) Once you get out of the park and through the twisty-windy mountain parts, you can drive faster.

I like to look at that part of the trip as a blessing in disguise - the drive was BEAUTIFUL and something that would not otherwise have been seen.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

Thank you every one for your help, it sounds a brill trip and we cant wait, so much to see and do when will we have time to sleep!!!

9. Re: lake yellow stone to cody

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 06:20