We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

Just about to book one, now second guessing myself. My DH likes more modern lodging but when I looked at the map the Snow Lodge looks further away from the geyer than I thought.

Can anyone who has stayed at both do a comparison? I definately want a private shower. What is the difference between size of room, location, etc.

Thanks everyone!!

I plan to book Dunraven Lodge for 2 nights, feel free to comment on that one too. Thanks.

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

p.s. It is for a June 2010 trip with DH and DS. Do any of the rooms have 2 queens or are they doubles? Thanks!!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

Its only a short walk from the snow lodge to the Old Faithful Inn. If you stay at the snow lodge, you can easily hang out at the Inn.

OFI has some rooms with a bath and they are the newer ones. Ours was pretty small. Don't know about snow lodge.

Can't help with Dunraven Lodge. I do really like the Canyon area, though. We've only stayed in cabins.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

We've only stayed at the Old Faithful Inn (old section), which we loved. They had a show on PBS last night that featured it; and got me so in the mood to go and stay there again someday!

I thought it looked like a bit of a hike from Snow Lodge to the geyser area, and Old Faithful Inn. I'm not sure if it would even be possible to see any of the geysers from Snow Lodge. I don't know for sure though; we just drove by the Snow Lodge, didn't go in.

Old Faithful Lodge was really close to the geysers, though...just as close as Old Faithful Inn. I'm not sure what the cabins are like there; I know they have non-bathroom ones but I would imagine they have the ones with private baths too. We ate in the Old Faithful Lodge cafeteria one day; and although the food wasn't be best the lodge itself was kind of neat. Huge gift shop, bakery, cafeteria, and a nice lobby area with windows looking towards Old Faithful geyser (which is just yards away). The Old Faithful Lodge lodge has a much more modern feel to it than Old Faithful Inn.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

Oh, regarding Dunraven...we've never stayed there, but a friend of ours did and thought it was way overpriced for what you get. I should add though, they had no idea the in-park lodging didn't have TV, so some of their disappointment was just not knowing what to expect. For me, personally, I would not pay the $150/night or whatever it is for just a place to sleep.....but, then again, we don't mind roughing it a bit:-).

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

I actually just called Xanterra and booked the Snow Lodge because it was the only room left with two double beds and a private bath. So that helped me choose between the Old Faithful Inn and Snow Lodge.

So the advice people give about booking sooner than later is good.

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

I Tivo'd the PBS show, so now I'll have to check it out!!! I love those nat'l park programs.

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

Was this for June 2010? We are going at That time next year and had not thought that it would be booked up to that extent this early.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

Glad you got your reservations Silver!

Yes, Abbie, rooms do get booked early - that's why we always recommend making room res. as soon as you know your dates. You can still call Xanterra - it's early enough that there should be openings. If you can't get exactly what you want, keep calling back, as cancellations will occur between now and June.

Good Luck to both of you!

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

Yes, June 2010.

We went to the Grand Canyon last year and when I called Xanterra the guy said he wished EVERYONE called that early. I have been putting off making my reservations for Yellowstone for months because I couldn't decide between June or August. Now I feel better that I made the reservations. I booked 2 nights in the Snow Lodge and two at Dunraven in the Canyon area although they said there were 2 lodges and they couldn't guarantee Dunraven but it was entered as a request which is fine.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow Lodge or Old Faithful Inn

just for the record, we chose the Snow Lodge and stayed this month for a night. It is a SHORT walk to the geysers and Old Faithful Inn from the Snow Lodge. In fact, we did it after dark. No worries--

Snow Lodge is charming in it's own right despite it being new. My only complaint was the fact that they have only double beds and way too firm for my tastes. I, too, wanted a private bathroom :)