We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

Long Island
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

Hello, I have two rooms reserved for 4 nights in early September, 2010. We have requested Dunraven Lodge, but I understand it will be either Dunraven or Cascade Lodge, with no way in advance to learn which it will be. We have a Handicapped Room reserved (1 person with a queen bed) and a Hi-Range Room reserved (2 persons with double beds). I cannot seem to get an answer from Xanterra for the following questions:

1) we have requested a small refrigerator in the regular room, and were told they have recorded our request with no guarantee. Any idea of the likelihood of having such, and is there an extra cost?

2) with no TV, reading looks like a major after dark activity. Will the reading light be sufficient, or should I look into purchasing/bringing 3 small portable clip-on-to-object reading lights?

Thanks very much in advance for your time & assistance.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

If my experience at OFI is any indication, I would bring the clip on lights.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

I agree, bring reading lights.

Also, perhaps you have read what to pack for YNP, but one essential is a styrofoam cooler for beverages, sandwiches and snacks, so you don't have to return to dining areas while in a "hot" viewing situation. YNP is so large, driving to dining takes time.

Large coolers are cheap, you can leave them for the employees upon departure, if flying in.

Do try to bring good binoculars.

Two other comments... One, after your day in YNP, you'll probably crash rather than read. :) Two, you can relax in the multipurpose room and bar and read there, as well.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

Even if you need the fridge for meds, it would still be a good idea to get a cooler. That way you'd be sure of having what you need available. They're cheap and would do double-duty for snacks and lunches as voyaging described.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

We stayed in Cascade this past August. There wasn't a refrigerator in the room. We did as others have suggested; we went to the supermarket in Jackson upon arrival and bought a cooler - it was $6 and some supplies like snacks, drinks, etc. When we left, I planned on bringing the cooler to the airport and handing it off to another traveler, but ended up giving it to the rental guy who checked us out.

As for the lighting in the room, it's a little dark in the room but was enough to read by.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

I have never stayed at Canyon, but at OFI our main activity at night was people watching in the lobby. That and checking out the night sky. But I do advise taking a good reading light.

Long Island
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

Thanks all. I had read about the inexpensive cooler suggestions from Albertsons in Jackson, which we plan to do. However, I was hoping to cut down on the continual need for ice by refrigerating goods overnight in the room. I will play it safe by buying/bringing 3 small portable clip-on reading lights just in case we want to read for awhile before going to sleep. See you in Wyoming.

7. Re: Canyon Lodge Accommodation Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 05:20