We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mammoth Less Water??

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
1,188 reviews
Save Topic
Mammoth Less Water??

10 years ago we visited Mammoth Springs and it was fabulous, this fall we visited and I have to say I was not as impressed because there was much less water. Just me or is it true there is less flow. Obviously this is nature and not disney world, but is my memory playing tricks on me or has there been a decrease in water?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mammoth Less Water??

Hi Ontario,

We are in the same boat here. My dh and I visited Yellowstone for the 1st time in Sept. 1997, and we returned this year in the summer with our 11 year old daughter. Compared to our first visit, we, too, were very disappointed with Mammoth's appearance. I actually got out my old pictures and compared them. There was definitely less water,and, as a result, much less color. I had just figured it was the difference between a summer and fall visit.

We actually spent much less time at Mammoth this time, as we just couldn't get over the difference. We definitely noticed it as you did.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
1,188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mammoth Less Water??

10 years ago we were there in the summer, this year in the fall so the seasons are not playing a role. Ironically we got out our old pics as well.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mammoth Less Water??

When you visit Yellowstone, you are looking at one of the most geologically active areas of the US, if not the entire world. Changes that can take centuries or millenia in other locations can happen in only a few years. Yes, you may have been disappointed in Mammoth Hot Springs, but you were witness to a change that geologists wait for. Instead of being unimpressed by the amount of water flowing, instead wonder at the change that you were able to witness in your lifetime.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
1,188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mammoth Less Water??

Agreed, as I said it is not disney world, I was just making sure my observations were correct. I saw other changes which is tottally expected when I visit wilderness, that is why I will revisit again.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mammoth Less Water??

It's the plumbing. Or more so the length between the outlet and the source. It takes time for water to move around underground. Often many years. Our impression of visiting Wyoming over the past 5-6 years was that things have been very dry. Often we were hearing comments from locals about the lack of rain or snow. This Spring/Summer though there were many areas that were having lots of rain...flooding even. I've never seen Boysen Reservoir (between Riverton and Thermopolis) so full as it was in August. With El Nino setting up this Winter there might be an extra heavy snowpack as well due to more Pacific storms inthe NW. Snowpack is probably the most important factor in the subsurface water flow.

So...4-5 (or maybe more) years from now Mammoth might be back to what is has been in the past. Or, it could just be physical changes in the channels deep underground. Geological activity that is.

We'll be watching the springs at Thermopolis as well which have been slowing down for a number of years. More rain or snow in the Owl Creek Mts. will help there as well. Eventually.

6. Re: Mammoth Less Water??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2010, 05:19