We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

Ok, Tripadvisor experts what do you think? Traveling between Canyon at Yellowstone to Glacier National park. I know its a long drive-so where would you advise to stop (overnight) along the way. Towns, hotel, attraction along the way? We would like to break up the 8 hour drive

you help is appreciated.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

We left through West Yellowstone and went to Polson, MT. Its at the bottom of Flathead Lake. There's a Best Western there with rooms overlooking the lake. The next morning we drove up the eastern side of the lake and took Route 2 to the eastern side of the park.

The hotel had a pleasant setting on the balcony. We had pizza delivered and just enjoyed the view.

We also stopped at the National Bison Range on the way but I don't particularly recommend it after Yellowstone.

Here's a link to a story about the drive and some pictures. Non of the hotel or view though. I took several but didn't put them on the site, I guess.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/bison_reserve.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

thanks. Poison sounds interesting!

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

I would second AKJ's suggestions.

Polson isn't much as a destination, but it is a good stopping-off place. The scenery is lovely, especially along the lake. It has a beautiful public golf course right along the southern edge of the lake too - if you're a golfer :-) I've stayed in Polson once - at the Bayview Inn - which I would not recommend, one of the reasons being its location right on the main road. The Best Western looked much nicer.

I agree too about the Bison Range - nice scenery, but not so great to warrant a special side trip, especially after YNP. What I did like was a stop we made in St. Ignatius to see the old mission church there. It's just off the main highway and was a nice break.

Enjoy your trip!

north carolina
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

Our last night in Glacier, we actually stayed outside the park in Columbia Falls. Driving down toward Yellowstone, we stopped in Bigfork for a few hours. It's a nice little town and we really enjoyed walking around there for a while, before conitinuing our drive south. Even the kids enjoyed it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

Anything in particular to check out in Big Fork?

north carolina
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

We didn't have very good weather the day we were there, so mostly just walked around the shops in town, which is western themed. Bigfork is on Flathead Lake and I'm pretty sure I saw places where you could rent boats or take a boat trip on the lake.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

FWIW, the drive between YNP and GNP is, as you say, long, but it is an easy day drive, even with a few stops en route. You will have lots of daylight hours.

In other words, given the comments preceding, I'd do just that.

But, if with young kids, perhaps it is too much.

MapQuest says, from Canyon to E. Glacier:

7 hours 29 minutes / 404.68 miles

north carolina
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

Good point. The main reason we stopped in Bigfork was to try and meet up with someone who lives there. It just happened to also be a neat little town.

We drove up to Glacier and back down to Yellowstone with three kids (ages 15, 13 and 9) and it was fine. It took about 8 hours (very roughly 8 hours, as our start and stop points differed). It's like driving Boston to DC, without all the traffic in between and much better scenery! :-)

The main attractions are going to be Yellowstone and Glacier, and I, personally, wouldn't schedule time to stop along the way, intending to "sightsee" anywhere else. Spend your time in the parks.

One thing you may want to consider, though, is stopping at the Boiling River hot springs for a dip on your way out of Yellowstone. My kids loved this.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

We stayed in Helena. Took our time leaving Yellowstone and wanted to enjoy the scenery along the way.

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good stop along thew way between YellowStone and Glacier

Great words of wisdom from all. At least I know what we are dealing with in terms of a drive and our options along the way

thanks to all again