We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do and see in short time at YNP and GTNP

Baltimore,MD
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Must do and see in short time at YNP and GTNP

Hello! Yes we are also traveling in July 2010!

Here's what I have so far: 7/7 arrive at SLC airport and drive to Signal Mountin Lodge in GTNP for 2 nights. Then head to YNP for 2 nights (maybe stay at Grant Village or Canyon). The bulk of our trip will be at CM Ranch (7/11-7/18) near Dubois, WY. I know we will be backtracking with Signal Mnt to YNP then to CM Ranch. I could not get Signal Mnt for my second leg of trip. So what are your must do and see with my plans? Thank you in advance!

Baltimore,MD
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do and see in short time at YNP and GTNP

second thought... will this work? First night in Canyon High Range room then second night OF Lodge room. Is it crazy to split into two separate nights? How long of a drive is it from GTNP to the Canyon Village?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do and see in short time at YNP and GTNP

Splitting the nights will work. IMO, no need to if stay at Canyon, but it will save some time that day for the OF and other nearby areas.

Distance from Jackson to Canyon:

Total Travel Estimate: 3 hours, 115 miles per MapQuest.

Here are the websites you'll find useful for the two National Parks; they are very informative, dig deep.

YNP is huge, full of views and surprises. I suggest that you maximize your time there and, IMO, add a third night. You'll be near enough to GTNP from your base that you could always return there. Dubois to Jackson - Total Travel Estimate: 1 hour 33 minutes / 86 miles

Yellowstone National Park website – excellent and deep resource. See View Map, home page.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/

Grand Teton National Park

http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

Edited: 30 January 2010, 18:24
alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do and see in short time at YNP and GTNP

actaully, i like staying at the different places in the park so i don't think you are making a mistake moving around. from gtnp to canyon is not that far from a mileage standpoint but because of park traffic, road construction, & sight seeing i' d plan on 3 hours. the actual drive is probably only 100 miles.

must see....take the boat ride acorss jenny lake & hike up to inspiration point. depending on how much time you have you can also visit hidden falls & for a longer hike go on up cascade canyon. there are usually a couple moose that hang out on that trail.

hike artist's point at the canyon. there are a couple of options for viewing the lower falls depending on how long a hike you want. the mt. washburn hike which is just north of the canyon area is a great hike (6 mi. rt) & gets you to the highest point in the park. you can see the canyon from there & on a good day some can see old faithful erupt.

on the drive from canyon down to old faithful make sure you also stop by the lake yellowstone hotel. just a great old hotel to see & the view of the lake is really nice.

Baltimore,MD
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do and see in short time at YNP and GTNP

Since my inital post I called Xanterra (thank you voyaging) and found that OF Snow Lodge Hi range available for both nights. So I booked that. I'm so gald I found this forum. I was going to book through U.S. Park Lodging thinking it was the official place to book. Many thanks!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do and see in short time at YNP and GTNP

Their website is well designed, looks official, but they (now) make it clear that:

"US Park Lodging is not an authorized concessionaire of any National Park nor are we in any way affiliated with the National Park Service of the Federal Government."

"For this service, US Park Lodging charges a 10% non-refundable reservation fee based on the total dollar amount of reservations made."

We try to inform posters of the above and to use only Xanterra for in the park lodging for YNP, as below:

Website, Official Lodging and Tour vendor for Yellowstone National Park (Call them frequently, cancellations occur. Don't use other resources, they charge a service fee and, in the end, they have to call Xanterra themselves, which you can do for free.)

http://www.travelyellowstone.com/

Here are two helpful collaborative Inside Pages prepared by several posters to this forum:

Inside Page, Wildlife Viewing and Photography:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

Inside Page, Packing for Your Trip:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c100586/Wyomin…

Two very worthwhile museums to visit: are below; don't know that you'd have time for Cody but, if so, well worth it.

Cody, WY – Buffalo Bill Museums (Do not underestimate this venue, for all ages.)

www.bbhc.org/home/index.cfm…

North of Jackson

http://www.wildlifeart.org/

6. Re: Must do and see in short time at YNP and GTNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2010, 07:16