We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Access

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled Access

I have made a reservation for a 3 day stay in the park for August. I am wondering if there are any park veterans that can help me with some information. I use a wheeled walker to get around. I will be travelling solo and I am wondering if there is any info on disabled access in the park? I like to walk but my body does not and it can make it difficult when travelling to national parks. They are really designed for active mobile people who can walk unaided. I expect that much of what I do will be driving around and sitting admiring the views but I would like to try some gentle walking. Any information would be appreciated.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled Access

To really see things you will probably need to get out of the car. That being said, most of the geyser areas have walkways that are look very accessible.

Lots of times you just need to get away from the parking areas to see things, and that would not entail a great deal of walking.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled Access

This looks helpful

yellowstonepark.com/PlanYourTrip/Handicapped…

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled Access

the boardwalks around the thermals are accessible. Artist Point to view the lower falls is accessible as well to a large degree. You will be able to enjoy the park. LOTS of pull offs to see things including the valleys where wildlife show up. Can park, get out and not have to walk. Definitely go. You can do it.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled Access

My wife does not walk well so either uses a cane or for long distances wheelchair. In general YNP is accomodating although there are some places where a bit of distance is involved. They can't alway get the roads and parking lots as close to the features as might be wanted. Also so much was laid out way back when persons with mobility issues did not travel it is impossible to now correct.

All that said the visitor centers are modern (mostly) and well arranged for accessibility. Anything new is fully ADA compliant. Handicap parking is usually fairly close although often in short supply in busier times. Many of the geothermal areas (pools and mudpots) have boardwalks that are fairly flat and smooth although I couold see where a walker might catch in the the spaces between boards. A lot depends on the wheel size - larger being better. The boardwalks at Mammoth Hot Springs sometimes only go as far as a staircase up to higher levels effectively ending wheelchair travel.

Some of the older areas with stone walls and pathways form the CCC days are too steep, have a step or two or are rough surface. I'm thinking in particular of some near Yellowstone Falls that are pretty steep getting down to the lookout points.

Restrooms are pretty accessible with the exception of some of the outhouses at parking areas. Most have doors wide enough for a walker and some for wheelchairs. Older buildings often have wheeled access only via ramps to a basement level and then via elevator. The acceisible restrooms at one of the older admin buildings at mammoth is this way.

The following link may be helpful"

nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm

Also check out:

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html for an access pass

england
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled Access

Hi, I have walking difficulties , and my wife & myself were in Yellowstone September last year.

I thought I'd let you know of our problems at ''Old Faithfull'' with the hopes it helps with your visit.

Even in ''off peak' period all the handycapped parking was full ,therefore we parked a long way from the visitors centre. My wife walked to the centre to obtain a wheelchair for me, only to find she could not get one without leaving a credit card which she had left with me in the car. So she ended up walking the distance four times before i had the w/chair.

By the time she had pushed me over quite rough track to the geezer she was k...................d . This also applies to returning it . Have a great time.

our holiday blog is here http://rockymountainroadies.blogspot.com

england
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled Access

Sorry I meant 'Geyser ' (Senior moment)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled Access

Geezer? Senior Moment? Works together for me. LOL

Nice photos, thanks.

8. Re: Disabled Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 07:18