We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson to Mt Rushmore

North Essex coast
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Jackson to Mt Rushmore

Can anyone advise how long it would take to drive from Jackson to Mt Rushmore last week in Aug 2010?

Thanks

Julie

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,068 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson to Mt Rushmore

About 9 hours.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson to Mt Rushmore

Try as I might with GoogleMaps I can't get it under 10 hours for the Dubois, Shoshoni, Casper, Lusk route. Interestingly the more scenic Dubois, Worland, Buffalo, Newcastle route is only about 1/2 hour more. But that involves another mountain pass on what would be a fairly long day's drive.

The GoogleMaps estimate though is only an average of 51mph so I'm wondering if it is in some sort of Winter mode. 9 hours would still only be 57mph and around there I usually figure avg of 66 (including towns and stops) which would be under 8 hours.

Speaking of GoogleMaps, last year they would not create a route over a "closed in winter" section if it was still winter. Not by car anyway. Terrible for planning summer trips. Now they do allow it but post an advisory for those stretches. It would be nice if they added a "travel date" calendar feature and calculated everything accordingly.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson to Mt Rushmore

Now that the context of the whole trip is clearer from reading itinerary in South Dakota forum I would amend above routes and say stick with Dubois, Shoshoni, Casper, Lusk route - skipping Worland-Buffalo part over Bighorn Mts. But if attempting to get to Rushmore area at all plan to stay two nights. Heading to Cody via Little Bighorn the next day would leave no time to actually see Mt. Rushmore except from a distance. Staying two nights would add ability to see other things such as Crazy Horse and/or Custer State Park wildlife loop and Needles Highway. Skipping Cody after Little Bighorn in favor fo Beartooth Pass and heading to W. Yellowtone would give this extra night. A very tight one week schedule.

North Essex coast
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson to Mt Rushmore

Thank you for your reply. It has been very helpful. We have decided that we won't have enough time to visit Mt Rushmore unfortunately.

We have decided to spend 1 night in Jackson Hole on arrival as our flight gets in at 7pm, 3 nights in Cody (I'm actively looking for somewhere to stay) followed by 3 nights in West Yellowstone (booked).

Any info on Cody accommodations would be appreciated, my children want to visit the Buffalo Bill museum, whilst my dh wants to vist Little Bighorn.

Julie

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson to Mt Rushmore

While most people would advise more time at Yellowstone if your arrangements there are already booked then the time outside the park could be split a bit to see more things. When kids are involved I usually point out Thermopolis for a stop. It would be an easy morning drive from Jackson via Moran Jct. to Riverton then up to Thermopolis. This would be a good route to Cody anyway and passes through very scenic Wind River Canyon.

The thing about Thermopolis is the mineral hot springs and the water parks. With kids I usually recommend Star Plunge due to better slides. But parents can enjoy the warm & hot mineral pools as well. Also in Thermopolis is a fantastic dinosaur center and tour of the site where they dig the bones out of the ground. You could do the water parks the afternoon of arrival and the dinosaur center the next morning before the short (90 minutes or so) drive to Cody for a couple nights. For a real taste of modern American West life there is a small tavern/restaurant called Butch's Place in Kirby (7mi or so north) that has huge hamburgers and cheap beer. A locals place little known to tourists and popular with local families. Very friendly and if you are adventerous try the fried Rocky Mt. Oysters.

A Go-List I created for Thermopolis has more info and links:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19827-Thermopo…

North Essex coast
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jackson to Mt Rushmore

How long would it take to get from Jackson to Cody?

Julie

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jackson to Mt Rushmore

About 6 or 7 hours. Maybe a bit more depending on traffic and road construction that might be going on. Just about 300 miles. Slow spots would be towns like Riverton and Thermopolis as well as Wind River Canyon (very curvey). but the rest would average 70mph except for construction zones.

8. Re: Jackson to Mt Rushmore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:17