We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

Dayton, Ohio and...
Level Contributor
431 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

Ok,...my wife and I have done many average hikes and some strenuous ones (up to 5 hrs. long). But, we've always just wore running shoes. This time, we want to get some hiking boots and break it in ( a couple of local hikes) prior to our trip to Yellowstone.

But, the internet doesn't have many suggestions and I have no idea where to get one?, Dicks sporting goods? target? sears where?

So, can someone recommend which are good brands for hiking boots, and where to get in the USA (is online purchase ok).

Are these guy's any good

sierratradingpost.com/search/…

Anything else.

Thank you

Edited: 08 June 2010, 01:15
Dayton, Ohio and...
Level Contributor
431 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

ok!...let me correct a few things....I am not going to buy online, I have to obviously try it on, duh! :)

So, where do I look for one? what stores carry good hiking shoes/boots and what brands do you recommend?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,690 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

You need to purchase boots from a place that you can actually try them on, purchasing online you may not get what you need. Dick's Sporting Goods probably will have something that would work. Also REI. I would look on both of their websites to see brands and read reviews. I have not had new boots in awhile as I can not hike too far anymore due to foot and heel issues.

Merrill, Keen, North Face all great, but not cheap. Columbia and Timberland are good and a bit more affordable.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

The brands we use are Keen, Merrill, North Face, and Columbia. My latest pair are North Face because I was able to get $125 ones on sale for $75 at a local outdoor sports store here. I usually pay around $100 for my hiking shoes but I don't get the high tops which are a little bit more expensive. I've gotten Keens for years and love them.

I would just go to a sports store in your area and try out some different styles. They all fit different and until you try them out in the store you won't know if you like them.

Deb

Edited: 08 June 2010, 01:43
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

Sierra is fine as is REI, LLBean, EMS.. There are many brands..I suggest you go to the nearest and get fitted.

I happen to have Timberlands and absolutly love them. Merrills are also very good. There are many brands and you should try on various brands and see what feels best to you. Get fitted well, though because that is very important with hiking boots.

I personally would not buy hiking boots in the department stores..go to a specialty sporting store

Dayton, Ohio and...
Level Contributor
431 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

Thank you!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

I'm a big fan of Merrell. Very comfortable and very easy to break in.

Don't overlook good socks. Even good shoes can cause problems if the socks are too thin.

Also, if you wear your boots on the plane, you'll save some room in packing. I normally take boots, sandals and flipflops.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

My husband bought Asolo Boots from REI, and they are actually incredible comfortable if you use an after-market insole. I chose the Lowa Boots, and they also have a much more comfortable fit with an after-market insole. We are avid hikers and routinely take 5-12 mile hikes, and these are the best we have had so far. Remember to pay attention to the fit around your ankle, as that is the most important area to keep your balance and avoid blisters. We usually tape our ankles to avoid blistering, and it works well. I also suggest REI because their return policy is great, even if you try the boots on and take an actual hike, if they aren't for you, REI will take them back. A membership for $20 for a lifetime is also a great thing to get, as it will give you 20% off your purchase (thats what we got) Good luck!

Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

Like you - I do short hikes that are probably like extended walks! I purchased hiking tennis shoes. Didn't know they made such things but my first ones were nike and the second pair columbia. They're lightweight but have a stiffer sole that's more durable. My nikes took me to Banff Canada, 2 weeks in Colorado and Alaska. Not sure of the miles - but lots!! Just bought the Columbia to replace the Nike but I do hiking tennis shoes. Still look enough like tennis shoes to me but quite durable. I'm not a heavy duty hiker - just my two cents!

Enjoy the shopping! :)

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

I love my Raichle boots. Very comfortable and hardly needed breaking in. Bought them at REI and had them for 20 years now and still trucking. Just another brand to consider.

10. Re: Hiking Boots Advice :)...why here?, why not :p

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 07:25