We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restrooms on hikes?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Restrooms on hikes?

Are there restrooms/outhouses on any of the main hikes? I have read a lot of descriptions of various hikes and have seen no mention of any facilities. Specifically Storm Point, Mystic and Fairy Falls. I love the outdoors and taking long hikes, but the city girl in me would like some sort of restroom occasionally.

PNW
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

There are no restrooms on the trails, though the campsites have toilets (a box behind a bush). The closest thing is a portapotty out by Morning Glory Pool. There is some minimal info here: nps.gov/yell/…backcountryhiking.htm. Hiking books will have more advice.

Idaho
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

None we have seen so far except by Morning Glory. Dont forget to read up on back-country potty techniques. I know you wont venture into back-country, but anything off the boardwalk at YNP is basically back-country.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

The only bathrooms are at major attractions, campgrounds, and most picnic areas. Make sure you use them before you get to a trailhead. After that you're on your own. Like vasulava said- read up on and practice good backcountry bathroom ettiquette. After awhile you get used to it......I grew up here in Montana and rest areas/towns are far apart. You learn at an early age to make do with the patch of tall grass/sagebrush beside the highway. LOL

Deb

North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

I have never really had a big problem with this issue. And, I personally am one who is always having to go to the bathroom. It's that nurse's bladder syndrome (you just have to be a nurse to understand it). Eventually your bladder is shot to h---.

Anyway, my advise to you is take the opportunity to stop at every bathroom you pass and escpecialy try to have an empty bladder prior to any definite planned hike. I've always made it through any hike with out any incidents...even drinking lots of water. But don't stress about it. Everyone else around you is in the same shoes you are. All of the visitor centers have facilitites and several picnic areas will have non flush facilitites. Look for them on the map. I made a point at stopping at these many times.

:)))))

Have a great trip!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

Thanks for the info. I have a teacher bladder myself, so I am used to holding it for long periods of time. But, I also want to make sure to stay hydrated. So if I have to go in the woods I guess I will, though I probably won't get any points for style. LOL Oh, how easy the guys have it!

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

Trees and bushes..... lots of trees and bushes, and the bears won't watch, or care. Maybe you can even answer the age old question when you get home. "Do bears ....... in the woods?" .................. ;-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

This website has a map and lists all the picnic areas, along with how many restrooms are at each:

www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/picnic.htm

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

Quite seriously, check around you carefully when you go off trail to assure yourself that no animals are nearby.

Idaho
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

One last suggestion on staying hydrated is to carry ice instead of water with you. You are less likely to fill up that bladder fast to want to pee. This is one trick we learnt from our track coaches back in high school.

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restrooms on hikes?

I think everyone here has given you great advice. I'm a city girl with an old nurses bladder, too. I love to hike and have learned that a clump of trees/tall shrubs are my best friend....as well as my husband who always is the "look out" person for other approaching hikers. Honestly...no problems.