We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Hotel annex?

new york
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Hotel annex?

We currently have reservations for 1 night at the Snow Lodge and 2 nights at the Lake Hotel annex. It amazes me how frequently availability changes at the various in-park hotels! At any rate I picked lake because we do like the grand old style park hotels. We will long remember our stay at the Ahwahnee, even though our toilet overflowed bigtme while we were there! At any rate, I am a little concerned by the reviews of the Lake Hotel on this site, most guidebooks etc are much kinder on it. How does the annex compare to the main hotel? much worse? Should I try changing for the main hotel or the cabins?

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Hotel annex?

I think you've made good choices of lodging areas. Snow Lodge will have you in good position for visiting the thermal areas - and if you enjoy the old hotels, definitely take one of the OFI tours, and maybe even have lunch or dinner there if it fits into your schedule - a beautiful and interesting place.

The lake area is a good central location for visiting the rest of the park, and much less congested than Canyon. I haven't ever been in the annex rooms, so can't comment on those. I did stay in the hotel once in a lakeview room, which was pretty small, but had a great view. The hotel itself is lovely, although it could use some "sprucing up". It's definitely not on the same level as the Ahwahnee, but I still enjoy it. There's a wonderful lobby overlooking the lake - a great place to sit and have a drink, while listening to either the string quartet or pianist - whoever happens to be there that night. Dinner is pricey. but the food is good, and the ambiance is special. Service can be spotty, but if you get a good server, it's a great experience.

We generally stay at a Western cabin at Lake Lodge (which has a great porch with rocking chairs and overlooks the lake too), and then go across to the hotel, but I think you'll enjoy wherever you stay. Just remember that the buildings are aging, and the employees are seasonal :-)

Edited: 18 June 2010, 15:11
new york
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Hotel annex?

I am ok with seasonal employeees and I know it's not the ritz. I did pick the lake because of location, our stay in yellowstone will unfortunately be short. I was concerned with the descriptions on the site about some of the rooms. I would not be into bedbugs, they are worse than the outdoor variety:) hopefully the room will be clean.

new york
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Hotel annex?

So I also now have the choice of staying at the Lake Hotel Cabins. Any preferences on the annex vs. the cabins?

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Hotel annex?

Unless you can get a lake-view room at the Annex - and I'm not sure they have them - I would go with the cabins. Not the same ambiance as the hotel, and not much to look at from the outside, but comfortable basic lodging.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Hotel annex?

I've never stayed in either;-), but my vote would also be for the cabins. If I'm not mistaken, I think they are free standing rather than connecting like some of the cabins in YNP. I would pick the free standing option over the annex where of course you'll have neighbors on both sides. Walls in Yellowstone lodging isn't the thickest and sometimes it's possible to hear your neighbors quite well in the connected lodging.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Hotel annex?

The cabins at Lake are excellent-really very nice inside, and a notch up from the cabins at Mammoth and Canyon (which we also enjoy). We stayed there many years ago and then again last year for our final 2 nights. Quick walk (2 minutes) to the main hotel where we enjoyed listening to the piano player, had a few drinks, and played cards. The annex is nothing special and is in-between the main hotel and the cabins-we went in there to get ice-just rooms, nothing special. Sat outside our cabin the last night and had 2 deer grazing across the road from us-very cool. We ate at the dining room on our first trip and it was ok-pricey and a little fancy for the setting. Our best meal last year was at the soda fountain in the gift shop at Lake-had 2 brothers (both in their 70's) wait on us-they were so fun and it was really neat hearing about their summer "adventure".

Elk Grove, IL
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Hotel annex?

We recently stayed in the cabins and loved them. Never stayed in the annex so I can't compare the two.

8. Re: Lake Hotel annex?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 05:17