We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

prabhunagar
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

We (couple) are planing to go to GTNP, YNP for 6 nights and 7 days in first week of september. Flying in/out of Jackson Hole.

Two nights at colter bay. Two nights at lake hotel and two at canyon lodge. we love driving and day hiking (drove through road to hana- two times).

Day 2: hiking in GTNP-jenny lake-inspiration point (hope it is easy to moderate hike).

Day3 hike around yellowstone lake area.

Day 4-5. I am not sure. We want to drive beartooth and chief joseph. Should I cancel one night at lake hotel and on day 4 start from lake hotel and stay near red lodge overnight?

Appreciate any suggestion.

Thank you in advance.

prabhunagar
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

Also, I have a question re: which car will be needed to drive beartooth in first week of september? economy/ compact car is ok?

prabhunagar
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

Any suggestions? Re: route from Lake hotel to Chief Joseph-red lodge and beartooth hwy back to canyon lodge in2 days.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

Beartooth can be done as a day trip if you don't go all the way down to Red Lodge. There's an overlook on the "east" end of the pass just before the serious downhill to Red Lodge that make a great turn around point. Then back to Jct. for Chief Joseph and down to Cody then return to YNP(?). Not sure about reference to "lake hotel" but assuming it is at Yellowstone Lake.

A nice little hike on way to Beartooth is at Clay Butte where there is an old fire lookout now used as a sort of info center about lookouts. The hike up the butte gives some great views. Leave really early and aside form more wildlife opportunities in Lamar valley sun angle would be lower on peaks.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

If you want to do both, I would also vote for dropping Red Lodge. Circling down to Cody via Chief Joseph Hwy. would definitely require a night's stay I would think.

We left Silver gate and spent a whole day driving the beartooth up to Red Lodge and back taking time to sight see.

Chief Joseph hwy. to Cody was done on a seperate day and we spent the night there. Others who have more knowledge about driving times may help you better. But I can tell you the distance it looks on the map is deceiving and you still have to factor in sightseeing time (getting in and out of the car) which you will do often.

prabhunagar
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

Thank you very much for your advise. I have 3 nights booking at colter bay village (sept 4, 5, 6) and two nights sept 5 and 6 th at lake yellowstone hotel and and 7,8,9 nights at canyon village now.

Should I cancel stay at lake yellowstone hotel ($160) and stay at colter bay for 3 nights ($110), visit GTNP for 2 days, visit Yellowstone from colter bay on 3 rd day; and on day 4- I can travel to cody-chief joseph and stay at cooke city on beartooth highway. After finishing beartooth on D-5; I can spend other 2 and half days in yellowstone. Does this sound good idea?

Florida
Level Contributor
151 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

So are you saying its not worth staying in RedLodge? I have been to Cody and thought RedLodge might be better for me. Or should I stay in Cody again. It will be Sept. and I think the rodeo is over, not sure if I want to go to the museurm again.

7. Re: Help in planning YNP trip: beartooth driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 05:17