We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

In a tripadvisor forum from 2006 a person made the following comment and gave it only a 1* rating. "I think all the hype and photos of the Grand Prismatic Spring are misleading. You can't see it from the boardwalk; you need to be above it in a helicopter. I saw recommendations in a forum to climb the hill opposite the parking lot for a good view. Not an easy task, unless you bring mountain-climbing equipment. Another recommendation was to go to the Fairy Falls trail where you could get a view from above. Again, you'd better bring your hiking boots to climb the hill there. When they built the boardwalk, it's too bad they didn't create some sort of platform where you could look down on the spring. It was to be one of the highlights of our trip and I was very disappointed."

I really wanted to see Grand Prismatic Spring from above but don't have hiking boots. Is it really going to be that difficult to climb up the hill to get some pictures? Exactly where would I park and go for pictures from above to make this the easiest and quickest since we have lots of other stops that day?

Mount Washburn
Mountains, National Parks
Elephant Back Mountain
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Old Gardiner Road
Nature & Wildlife Areas, National Parks, Mountains
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

Someone really got their knickers in a knot! LOL

Check these reviews on TA.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60999-d1466…

Edited: 07 July 2010, 05:57
North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

IMHO: This person is a spoiled little brat. What do they want? Do they want to be like Cleopatra and be ushered up the slope carried on a platform all the while by being fanned with palm leaves and cooled down with cool cloths, while having a back rub and someone spoon feeding them ice cubes? I don't understand, honestly.

I found this to be one of the most amazing sites I have ever seen. In answer to your questions. No, you do not need hiking boots. Ridiculous. No, you do not need a GPS.

What do you need?1) A positive attitude and 2)some common sense, 3) at least tennis shoes 4)abundant water 5)sunscreen, and 6) a camera.

Park at the Fairy Falls Trailhead. It can get crowded, but I just circled around and eventually got a spot. It is a very popular trail. If you are heading south down the main loop road, just look for a turn off/parking area on the right hand side of the road just south of Midway geyser basin (which is where Grand Prismatic spring is located). Look on the park map, you can see where the falls are on the map. You will be hiking north back up toward the spring. Your goal is to hike just until you get across from the grand prismatic spring and then you will climb the hill to see the view.

Listen, I am no experienced "hiker" by no means. I like to hike short hikes to sightsee. I found this by myself and hiked it alone. It is so simple. The trail is completely flat and more like a forest road to me until you get to the area where you climb the hill. You really can not miss it. The road kind of follows the river for awhile and passes right in front of the spring. You can tell when you are getting close, you can see the mist rising from the spring, just look to your left at the hillside and look for worn out paths up the hill. Most likely you will see other people up the slope.

It is steep and you do have to use common sense in choosing which way is the best for you to clammer up the steep hill. You Do have to watch your step, you DO have to use your brain to figure out where to put your foot and be safe. It's a hill for crying out loud. That was the excitement for me, conquering the great outdoors to get that view! If it's any consolation, there was a family behind me with 2 young kids about 6 and 9 and they did great. They were very hot and I did have to give the little girl some water, but they managed the hill just fine.

Maybe that person could provide a donation to the park funding and they could install a moving escalator and then an air conditioned elevator to the top with free snacks. hahahahaha (I'm sorry I can't stop laughing at that paragraph).

That spring is visible via satellite, it is a wonder of the world IMO, the largest hot spring in Yellowstone and the 3rd largest in the world. Anyone should feel priveleged to see it from the ground or otherwise.

I will hush now.

…google.com/rhondasalbum/…5470473990961719698

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

Enjoyed your photos. Even though there a month ago, for the umpteenth time, still tugs...

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

Thanks for the advice. I just want some clarification. Heading north from Old Faithful, is the Fairy Falls trailhead one mile south or one mile north of the Midway Geyser Basin and on my left or on my right? I've read it both ways and want to make sure I dont' miss it. **If I only have about 4 hours in the area before heading to Cody for the night, do you think I'll be able to visit the old Faithful area and take the Upper Geyser Basin Trail to Morning Glory Pool (how long will that walk take?) as well as the Fairy Falls trailhead to get some pics of Grand Prismatic Spring? Any other must-sees in the area if I have time?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

Lone Star Geyser Hike along with Fairy Falls and Mystic Falls were 3 hikes that were on our "To Do List" this last trip but we never did make it over to the west side of the park. I too want to see the Grand Prismatic Spring from above so it is definitely on the agenda for our next trip.

Deb

North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

see if this helps:

world-of-waterfalls.com/yellowstone-fairy-fa…

North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

Also, there is no way you can do all of that in 4 hours and forget about adding even more.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the area is huge....too many things to see. Viewing Old Faithful and going to morning glory will take much more time than you think. You have to consider time to park, the timing of old faithful and the walk back to morning glory is long, and there are things to see along the way.

The hike to Grand prismatic overlook is beautiful, but you may not have time for it. If you choose to see it; you will probably have to delete something else if you only have 4 hours.

I would choose in order what you want to do and start out with the one at the top of the list and see what happens. If you are truly bent on seeing as much as possible then walk fast and try to check off as many as you can. But, I think you would enjoy it better if you were able to take your time and choose a few things to do. You can't see it all. I've been twice and I still have things I haven't seen. It's unfortunate, but that is how it is. I feel your pain believe me. ;))))

8. Re: Best way to see Grand Prismatic Spring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 08:43