We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic help

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
369 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Basic help

Just starting to plan our trip in mid Sept. and will be flying into SLC. We'll spend our first and last night in SLC. Thinking of staying two nights in Jackson and four nights at YNP.

We'd like to stay in the park --maybe one night at Old Faithful and 3 in the Canyon. Where do I find info on lodging in the park and make reservations?

Any basic help would be appreciated.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basic help

Xanterra is the company making in the park reservations.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/ is their website.

Canyon closes September 26 for what that's worth.

Here's a link to the closing dates from the NPS website.

nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

We put together planning information on our website. Some of it may be useful too. It contains the above links and others. It also includes my version of what must be seen in the park.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 15:29
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,593 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basic help

Check out this website for the must sees in YNP-

www.yellowstone.net/topten

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basic help

The park website itself links you to lodging through the sole vendor, Xanterra, as noted above.

This too often overlooked or understudied park website contains a lot of very good information and an interactive map.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/

Do you have specific interests for your visit?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
369 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basic help

It seems like most of the lodging in the park is sold out for September. Do you have any other suggestions for lodging?

We would probably want to see the "top ten" places to visit in the park and maybe do a 3-5 mile hike or two.

How long would it take to see the top 10?

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basic help

sam - lodging, food and services in the park begin shutting down the beginning of September and by mid-October the park is essentially closed. That's one reason why you're having trouble with lodging, less available, but also you are quite late in planning a trip to this area. However, there are frequent cancellations and you likely, if you are persistent in calling Xanterra (don't rely on the website, as it doesn't seem to keep as updated as the people on the phone) can find in park lodging. You also need to know that weather may be a consideration in mid-Sept. Some years it's wonderfully warm and mild and other years, winter comes early, and others yet are more a mixture of the two, with icy roads, frost on cars in the morning, and maybe a light snow, cold evenings, but warming up nicely during the day into the 70s.

As to your questions about how much time, really recommend minimum of 4 days to tour Yellowstone, it is a huge area and very diverse.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basic help

Note the key words, "Call them frequently..."

Official Lodging and Tour Vendor for Yellowstone National Park (Call them frequently, cancellations occur. Don't use other agencies, they charge a service fee and, in the end, they have to call Xanterra themselves, which you can do for free.) Locations, costs, lodging descriptions are all here.

http://www.travelyellowstone.com/

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basic help

If you decide to stay outside of the park, West Yellowstone is a good base for most of YNP. You might also consider a night in Gardiner for visiting the northern areas.

Meanwhile - "Keep calling" Xanterra, - cancellations do occur.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 20:26
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
369 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basic help

Thanks so much for the info. We don't have any reservations yet--not even the flight-- and we're seriously reconsidering the whole trip for next year so we can do more planning.

I thought that it would be better to go in September because we'd miss the summer crowds. I don't mind cold weather and snow.

How long does it take to get to Old Faithful from West Yellowstone?

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basic help

HI Sam,

We were in Yellowstone last week. It is not impossible to get reservations at this time, but as voyaging noted, definately call Xanterra daily..even twice daily as they often have cancellations that don't make it to the website.

We entered the park from West yellowstone and drove to OF for our first 2 nights. It took us about 40 minutes but a lot depends on what's on the road..our first "jam" was not due to animals, but because of a car crash. The one thing about yellowstone to remember is that you have to plan to be flexible and not expect to maintain a time table within the park..ever, so plan lots of extra time for travel!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
369 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Basic help

Thanks everyone for the help.

I have tried to call Xanterra (used both numbers) and could not get through. Their website is hard to use so I imagine that everyone tries to call. If I can't even get through to them once, don't think I'll be able to call twice a day to check for cancellations.

Still checking out other resources for lodging but would love to stay inside the park.

How long would it take to do all the "top ten" places??