We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days, one base or two?

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
5 days, one base or two?

We are planning a trip for June 2011 and planning on staying at Canyon Lodge as I've read mostly good things about the facility and the centrality to many spots in the park. We do need accessible lodging so that is a consideration as we prepare to book lodging.

For 5 days/4 nights in the park, should we stay at Canyon the whole time, or stay in another lodge as well? I know none have kitchenette facilities (one of the major flaws in Yellowstone lodging options IMO!) so location and comfort are the big factors.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

Canyon would be a great place. Central and really no need to move around, especially with any physical issues. Accessible rooms are few, so get what you can and keep it! Enjoy planning.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

Canyon is central, however I think you would enjoy a night at Old Faithful. The area is more pleasant when the day trip crowds aren't there; evenings and early mornings are nice times to tour around the geysers. Snow Lodge has accessible rooms.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

agreed-- I'd go with one night at the Old Faithful area. Old Faithful Inn is OLD :) so not sure about accessibility, but... the Snow Lodge is "new" Might be better for you there. We stayed a night at the Snow Lodge. Cute and clean-- but I paid no attention to accessibility. (hate to admit that) but I would say to check into that. I do know the boardwalks (miles of them) are very accessible there at the Old Faithful thermal area. It is definitely a plus to have close access mornings and evenings when the crowds are less.

Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

I'd definately go with at least one night at the Old Faithful area. It's a beautiful place and accessible - depending on your needs.

Enjoy the planning!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

I'd go with two nights in the Old Faithful area, and then three in Canyon.

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

thanks for the suggestions!

CT
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

I couldn't decide about 1 or 2 different lodge locations when I was planning either but by reading TA I chose 2 nights at Old Faithful Inn and 2 nights at Dunraven Lodge/Canyon area. I think 2-2 night stays was perfect and I loved OFI for the location as well as the historical ambience. It was just cool to stay there and be able to watch OF erupt numerous times. It was also close to Grand Prizmatic plus OF was my favorite (and my son's favorite) part of the park.

Dunraven Lodge was nice but a very different experience than OF which I expected. It was good for the location since we did a lot of hiking in that area plus we visited other areas of the park as well.

I actually think I would have really liked staying at the Lake area too, maybe more than Canyon because of the view.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

OF is worth a full day , so 1 or 2 nights there would be great and 2 or 3 at Canyon is perfect. Canyon is so central to everything.

The western cabin we stayed in at Snowlodge had an accessible unit on the opposite side of the building ( 4 units to the cabin).

I agree that it would be great to have cabins with a kitchenette!

Dayton, Ohio and...
Level Contributor
431 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

If all you have is 4 nights, then Old faithful (1-night) and Canyon (3-nights).

10. Re: 5 days, one base or two?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:18