We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

I've just started planning my family's first trip to YSP & GTNP for next year. At first we thought we'd go later in June, but there isn't availability at Old Faithful Inn then. So, I've booked Old Faithful Inn for May 29-31, 2011, followed by 3 nights at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. After that, we plan to stay two nights at GTNP.

From reading the first 20 pages on this forum, I understand that it's still cold that time of year. I understand that the Canyon Lodge should open on June 3. Barring an unpredicable blizzard, do you think we'll be able to drive to the canyon area to see the canyon and waterfalls?

Ask me to plan a trip to Disney World and I can do it with my eyes closed, but this is still very new to me. I'm an avid planner and am trying to educate myself so that my family will have the optimum experience. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

We've been at that time of the year in 2007 and 2008. It was warm and sunny in 2007 and cold, snowy and icy in 2008. Be prepared for anything and dress in layers- you'll have a great time no matter the weather. Buy the book Yellowstone Treasures for great insight into the park, routes, wildlife, etc. and check out this website for places to see in the park. Remember YNP is the size of a small state and there is much to see and do. Enjoy your trip planning.

www.yellowstone.net/topten

Tennessee
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

Thanks so much for your reply and for the website link! I'm looking forward to our trip. It'll be our first time out west.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

You will fall in love with the area. We've done YNP and GTNP twice, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, Rocky Mt. NP, and Acadia in recent years but we love YNP. We are doing Glacier and coming back to YNP in late August. If you come at the end of May/first of June you will get to see all the wildlife babies.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

Ooohh! My kids especially will love seeing the baby animals! They will be 13 and 9 when we go. We've been waiting for them to appreciate a trip like this before going. We live right next to the Great Smoky Mtn. NP (literally 30 minutes from one entrance). They enjoy hiking and wildlife viewing during our day trips there. I think it's gonna' be awesome!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,072 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

Sounds like an awesome trip. Your kids may enjoy the Junior Ranger program too. You will have no problem getting to Canyon from either OF or Lake (unless of course the unpredictable blizzard, lol) Dunraven Pass may not be open north from Canyon to Tower.

Spend some time on the official YS and Teton websites. www.nps.gov/yell and www.nps.gov/grte There is so much info. Videos, photos, webcams, maps.

Also get the book Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple the best guide book for the area.!

Edited: 22 July 2010, 02:20
PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

In May of 2010 we entered Yellowstone from the South Entrance on the first day that it opened. If you want to see pictures go to our website:

http://stravels.intuitwebsites.com

As others have mentioned, the weather is unpredictable at that time. We wore layers and adjusted as needed. The five days we spent in Yellowstone in Mid May 2010 were gorgeous! We were very lucky..70 degrees and sunny. Then when we moved south to Grand Tetons it turned cold and snowy.

The red dogs and other baby animals were really enjoyable. We spent a lot of time watching them play and romp. We were also lucky enough to see a mama grizzly and two cubs in Yellowstone (up close...from the car).

Your kids will love it...and so will you!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

beckydoodle,

Your pictures are amaing! I've already decided that I need a new lens for my camera - an 18-200mm so that I don't have to switch back & forth between the two I have. I am already very excited and we still have 10 months to go!

8. Re: Yellowstone & Grand Teton in late May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 06:30