We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo tips/musings...

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Photo tips/musings...

We visited YNP & GTNP in June. I took HUNDREDS of photos and one of the tips I would share is to take photos of signs in Yellowstone. i.e. there are lots of labeled geyers... take photos of the signs seperate from your photos so when you create a digital album you can put captions on your photos. Also take photos of the map signs. For example in the Mud Volcano area I took a photo of the wooden sign that is at the beginning of the boardwalk that shows all the names of the various mud volcanos. I wish I had taken more photos of signs because I only thought of this mid vacation and only have a few.

If you are the creative type some of my favorite pics are the zoom shots of the cracks that create mosaic designs at the mud volcano area. These are going to look great as framed black and white shots.

One final tip...please invest in a camera with a large zoom!!! I can't tell you how many people I saw in the park with dinky nonzoom cameras or using their cell phone cameras. Most people visit nat'l parks once or twice in their lifetime...capture it with a GREAT camera and something more than a 3x zoom!

And of course take more photos than you'll ever need and numerous shots of the same thing, different angle. You'll be glad you did.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo tips/musings...

I'm so glad you mentioned taking photos of the signs. I was going to carry a notebook to write down what I was taking pictures of. I like your idea better.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo tips/musings...

What camera and lens's did you take?

Any photos on line?

Good tip Thanx

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo tips/musings...

I have a Panasonic FZ7, love it. Send me a PM and I will send you a link to my photos. Just uploaded pics today and was reliving the vacation. One of my favorite pics is a group of people in dark silhoette at OF with the steam rising up in the background. I just uploaded 3 pics to my OFInn review but it may be a bit before TA posts them. I love photography but am just an amateur although I do think some of my pics are very cool. ;)

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo tips/musings...

I always take a picture of trailhead signs before we leave on hikes. I've also gotten into the habit of taking a picture of all the signs in the geyser basins before I take a picture of a geyser, pool, etc.. It really does come in handy afterwards because there is no way a person can remember all the names.

My point and shoot has a 10x zoom and it actually did pretty good on everything I took pictures of. There were only a couple of times my grandson got better pics with his camera and separate lens setup. I got the 10x zoom for size (wanted something that would fit in my purse or fanny pack for our many dayhikes). This one fits that bill and takes awesome pictures too so I can't complain. There is a point and shoot with 26x zoom that I might break down and buy. For now, I'm not a serious photographer and can't justify spending the money it will cost to get a decent camera with separate lens setups but it is in my dream for the future.

Deb

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo tips/musings...

just an fyi for those of you who might want a nice camera and large len but not the expense that goes along with it.... You can rent equipment. We rented a lens when heading out west a couple of years ago. Cost us about $150 to rent it for 3 weeks, but.... much better than purchasing the $1300 len.

N Carolina
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo tips/musings...

We were there a couple of weeks ago and took about 1,200 pictures. We took a Sony Cybershot point-and-shoot and also a nicer Sony Alpha DSLR camera. I've always been happy with my point-and-shoot camera but there's no comparison in detail/color/quality with the DSLR camera. I'd say 75% of the shots we took are really good. Many of the landscape shots I took with the DSLR are postcard-worthy.

I've posted our trip report on this forum and plan on linking to our trip blog here very soon which will have our report plus many of the pictures and some video we took as well.

7. Re: Photo tips/musings...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 09:06