We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

There isn't a whole lot of informaton out yet but there has been a bear attack resulting in 1 person being killed and 2 people injured in Soda Butte Campground 1 mile east of Cooke City sometime after midnight this morning. The following is one link to a KTVQ article but it does not contain a whole lot of information. As soon as anything is updated I will post it. This campground is in the Beartooth Mountains which is Grizzly Country. While tents can be used there are strict guidelines for all campers regarding food storage. Nothing has been reported yet if any food item was in the tent involved. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the person killed and the people injured.

ktvq.com/news/…

Deb

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,593 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

Yes our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the person killed. Please send updated info when you get it. Thanks

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

Okay, living where I do I'm aware that wildfires are a way of life in any forest and I know what can and does happen when humans approach or provoke wildlife which they inevitably do in places where there is opportunity. However, it seems like Yellowstone has been in the news a lot lately and I'm curious if there really is a spike of incidents or if I'm just hyper-aware since we plan to visit next month?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,593 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

This was just posted from the AP in our Atlanta newspaper-

ajc.com/news/…1-dead-2-injured-580352.html

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

Sad, horrible for the families and campers. I took this photo, never thought I'd formally post it on the forum.

tripadvisor.com/…19047045

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

wow what a dam shame.... You would think if it was bear country they wouldnt allow tent camping... ALB101, i too had the same thought cross my mind when i read this. we will be there in 2wks. staying in cooke city for 1 nite then off to the park for a week. I have no intentions of wandering off some trail and into unknown. You just never know, and this is THEIR home not mine.....Its too bad. Feel bad for his family and all. But yea, 1st the buffalo incident, then just other day jack hanna had a bear encounter and used spray, and now this...Its like Ive never heard anything on news that i can recall about yellowstone or MT. or animal attacks, now its like , geez, is it because im going out there and so now im more in tune to it, or no, i mean it has been happening its not my imagination....

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

If you really think about how many people use trails, both dayhikes and backcountry backpacking, along with campgrounds in and around Yellowstone Park on a daily basis the frequency of bear encounters and/or fatal attacks are very, very rare. Way more people are injured/killed in car accidents in and around Yellowstone. I think that because bear attacks and especially fatal ones are so rare it becomes a bigger news item.

So far there hasn't been any information released as to the specific circumstances. Hopefully the 5 o'clock news will have some specifics. I am curious if there was food left in the tent. The entire area is Grizzly country and heavily marked to that fact both on the highway and in all campgrounds and trailheads along with rules/regulations regarding food storage.

I've never tent camped at Soda Butte but have camped at Beartooth Lake and Island Lake many, many times. My daughter has also camped at Chief Joseph Campground just 3 miles from Soda Butte before going on her 26 mile backpacking trips over the Beartooths. In fact, two years ago when the last attack happened at Soda Butte she and her friend were at CJ Campground a couple of weeks after the attack. She said she was spooked over it (even though that bear was captured) but knew they were taking all the precautions necessary to be as safe as she could. I don't have plans to stop tent camping because of this incident. Everything we do in life (at home, at work, at play, and on vacation) carries a certain amount of risks...long ago I chose not to let those fears and risks keep me from doing things I love to do.

Deb

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

Typical American news media... big on the scare factor, but short on any useful details.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

Also, stories like this are why I HATE camping in big public campgrounds like what this place sounds like. Bears get habituated to these places and you're usually surrounded by lots of people who don't take bear safety seriously. I so much prefer camping in the backcountry.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

Oh, gee. Our son who is a biology tech for the Fisheries Dept at YNP lives in Lake Village. He camps at Soda Butte all the time because he and my father-in-law (who lives in Cooke City) fly fish near there. He is on vacation in Oregon right now, so I am sure he is unaware of this incident. So sad. It does seem like a lot of incidents this year in the park.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Fatal Bear Attack : (

How sad and scary. My thoughts are with all involved.

Ok folks...do we need to be worried in the campgrounds at Yellowstone and Tetons? We will be tent camping at Madison and Colter Bay and I am usually a bit fearful of bears, but now I'm even more concerned!

I don't think bear spray is the solution in a campground and we won't be doing too many hikes this time.

Any ideas to keep the bears away from camp other than keeping a spotless camp which we will do? Maybe set up a perimeter early warning system with rope and bells and noisy things ?!