We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"special things" tips?

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
"special things" tips?

I am looking for tips on where to go for that special thing....you know, that thing you can't get at home and love to get when you go to the Teton/Yellowstone area.

For example, thanks to some wonderful folks on TA and their tips, when we went to Rocky Mountain National Park, we went to a little store in an adjacent town that made their own amazing cinnamon rolls unlike any I have eaten anywhere.

Another example, we live near Shenandoah National Park and a visit to the park would not be complete without a blackberry milkshake from Elkwallow Wayside! YUMMY!

So what are the special things we must eat, drink and do that are unlike anywhere else (I don't mean the tour book must dos, I mean your personal ones that are not in a book anywhere).

I read somewhere about a special ice cream flavor, but now I can't find that thread anywhere. Same with some drink, but can't find that either. I can't find where I read about a breakfast item at Signal Mountain Lodge. My eyes are going to fall out from all of my TA reading! LOL

Any and all tips appreciated! Thanks!

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "special things" tips?

So I found the huckleberry ice cream at Yellowstone General Store and blueberry pancakes at Nora's. Anything else we shouldn't miss?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,121 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "special things" tips?

Our favorite things from our previous trips to YNP and GTNP were-

1. blueberry pancakes at Running Bear Pancake House in West Yellowstone.

2. float trip on Snake River with Barker Ewing.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "special things" tips?

-huckleberry margarita at Signal Mountain Lodge - Grand Teton Park.

-Bison Burger at the Wort Hotel. Jackson,WY

-A picture of you or your kids riding the huge Jackalope (1/2 Rabbit 1/2 Antelope) in Dubois, Wy north of Togotee Pass

-A custom made cowboy at Jackson Hole Hat Company

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "special things" tips?

I never miss a chance in Wyoming to find Rocky Mt. Oysters somewhere. Just can't seem to get them outside MT, WY, CO area. Fairly sure there ought to be at least one place with them in Jackson or maybe W. Yellowstone. My favorite place for them is Butch's Place in Kirby, WY (near Thermopolis).

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "special things" tips?

we loved the chocolate covered huckleberries at Yellowstone. Can't say I'd ever had a huckleberry-- they were really good.

Suzibell: we're headed out to RMNP this Sept. WHERE are those cinnamon rolls? :)

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "special things" tips?

Thanks for the tips! These are exactly what I am looking for! A chocolate covered huckleberry, can't wait!

Wings1980, I sent you a private message. Please let me know if you have any questions. We have been to Estes several times with and without little ones. One of my favorite places on earth!

Edited: 02 August 2010, 21:31
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "special things" tips?

thanks! :)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "special things" tips?

I like the fudge ice cream bars made in Montana. I can't remember the name, but I can see the wrapper right now. I think it is called Wilkinson? Someone else will have to help you with the name of the company, but they are very good. They are available at the general stores in Yellowstone.

I also found a dark chocolate covered (over vanilla ice cream) ice cream bar made by Hagen Das that is not sold where I live that is awesome. It reminded me of ice cream I have in Madrid, Spain.

I always buy the coffee mug they have at the Buffalo Bill Dam near Cody, I have one with a buffalo on it and one with 2 bears on it. Cute! And the lip is curved just so, perfect for that morning cup of coffee and a memory of a great trip. (They are hand painted).

I also have made it a tradition, well I've been twice and coming again in August to buy a trivet (hot plate) in the gift shop at Dornan's. They are beautiful. They are handcrafted, made in the USA. They have a scene with a moose on them both and I love them to death! I can't wait to see what the one for 2010 looks like!

And I wouldn't dream of leaving the area without that new 2011 calender.

P.S. I haven't had them, but I think you are speaking about the blueberry pancakes at Signal mountain for breakfast. I plan to try those out this trip...staying in one of the lakeside retreat rooms this year.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "special things" tips?

During my research, I found a fun list of "49 to-dos in Jackson Hole":

soloroadtrip.com/2009/…

Hope this helps!

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "special things" tips?

These are great, thank you! Just the kinds of things I am looking for!