We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

Clarkston
Level Contributor
78 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

I'm looking at flying in to Jackson early afternoon;

stay at Coulter Village cabins for 4 nights;

leave for yellowstone & stay at old faithful 1 night ( all lodging frontier cabins)

stay at Mammoth Hot Springs 1 night

Roosevelt area 2 nights

canyon area 2 nights

& yellowstone lake area 1 night

then leave for Jackson airport for a red eye flight

Do you think this is a good plan - to see & hike all areas or too much moving around. It seemed the less driving the better.....?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

Nothing wrong with what you have. It is a lot of moving though. If it were me, I'd move the Mammoth night to Roosevelt. I'd move one of the Coulter Village nights to Lake or Canyon. I'd consider moving Lake to Canyon for the one night. They're not far apart.

That would be 2 less places to stay and 2 times less to move.

You can easily get to Lake from Canyon. You can also easily get to Mammoth from Roosevelt. We really like Roosevelt. Good food and a nice setting.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

Good suggestions, above, I agree in consolidating lodging where suggested.

I'd not worry about the driving and backtracking. Y'ou'll see a lot by going places twice or more. You have plenty of time to smell the roses, see wildlife and the thermal areas. It'll be a great trip.

I'm happy for you that you've planned this relatively long visit.

Perhaps these two articles will help you plan:

For wildlife viewing and photography:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

Packing for your trip:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c100586/Wyomin…

And these websites:

Two very worthwhile museums to visit:

Cody, WY

www.bbhc.org/home/index.cfm…

North of Jackson

http://www.wildlifeart.org/

Edited: 11 August 2010, 01:44
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,882 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

If you have an early morning flight out of Jackson you need to stay in Jackson the last night. You do not want to do driving thru the park in the dark with all the wildlife, etc. I agree to consolidate your lodging at the Canyon area and not move around so much.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

The OP indicated a "red eye" flight... but your advice is sound for anyone having a flight out of Jackson.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,882 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

Thanks voyaging- I did not read a red eye flight but the idea of spending the last night in Jackson Hole is not a bad idea.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

I agree, PeachBelle8288. With all the time they have between the two parks, they can almost choose where to spend that extra day (if they can get lodging). What a nice dilemma to have. :)

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

People have different ideas - I would stay three nights at lake rather than two at Canyon and one at Lake. Lake is really just as convenient because they are only a few miles apart and Canyon is a total zoo - swarmed with people in facilities that resemble a suburban shopping mall.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

We just stayed at Colter Bay too while doing both parks and agree on the four nights there - we loved GTNP and thought too many people shortshift it. We did one night in Jackson (as we arrived there late in the evening), four nights in Yellowstone and four nights in GTNP, and thought that was just right.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

While Canyon "mall" for lack of a better word can be crowded, "zoo" does not come to my mind. :) Besides, all the amenities and services are there. To me, Old Faithful area is a zoo with vehicles, buses, trucks and, oh yes, we people.

As with any other location in the park, after a day's activities, lodging locations are to crash. Be aware that Canyon lodging is not located in the mall type area.

True, Lake is a much gentler place, but Canyon location does save drives back and forth to Lake - however, it's through the Hayden Valley, by Mud Volcano and Le Hardy's Rapids, it is a very scenic drive.

Lake Hotel and Lake Lodge both are nice places to sit and enjoy the view, with beverages. The former is more "formal", the latter more laid back... and you can sit on the porch and contemplate the meadow, woods and lake (and perhaps a Bison or Bear). While doing your laundry about 100' away...

Edited: 11 August 2010, 16:54
10. Re: Doing Grand Tetons & Yellowstone in 11-12 days- need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 07:18