We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

What kind of temperature can I expect? For someone coming from the tropics, do I need real heavy duty down, or go for windbreakers with lighter down lining or fleece?

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

I was there in 2008, last week of Sep and first week of Oct. It was in the mid 70's during the day and 40's at night. In Jackson, it did get down to 22 degress on Oct.5. So, it can vary greatly.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

Thank you. For all I read, experts are advising layers of clothing as weather is really unpredictable in these mountains. BTW, are you from good old Peoria, Illinois?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,677 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

Yes, layers. And bring hats and gloves. It snowed like crazy when we were there one year on Sept. 22nd. They actually closed access to the park at the south entrance completely for several days and restricted driving in other areas. It is the Rocky Mtns. I have seen it snow in Colorado on July 4th - had to wear our heavy coats to the fireworks so you never know.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

Here is a link for Yellowstone weather in Sept 2009

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

I do not think the real heavy stuff would be required.

Edited: 27 August 2010, 02:19
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,490 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

My question back to you is what outer wear do you have access to?

At a minimum I would have a long sleeved thermal-type shirt, a polar fleece vest and an outer layer that is wind/water resistant. If I had a fleece jacket already, I would bring it. Do you have those space pack type of bags where you can squish clothing down really small? They work great on fleece.

If you don't have warmer clothing, you can purchase there, cant remember if you plan to stay in West Yellowstone or Jackson at all, but there would be souvenir type fleece clothing items there, altho would be a premium price.

I agree absolutely with gloves, hats or fleece headbands. SusieLou is right. It can snow any time.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

Yes, I am from Peoria, IL. We are going to GNP / Yellowstone / Tetons in mid September.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

You are a few days ahead of us. How many days are you planning there?

Peoria is Caterpillar. You associated with them at all?

I lived there for 6 months way back, when I was still young.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

I have pretty heavy duty Columbia and Timberland outfit, as I have been to pretty cold mountain areas in northern China and Korea (like minus 10 C, or -14F)

Would it get down to that kind of temperatures in Yellowston and Teton last week of Sep?

I will stay 1 night in Jackson, and then 3 nights in West Yellowstone.

On another subject, is it dangerous to drive at night through the park? Should I leave Jenny Lake before sunset and drive to West Yellowstone?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,490 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

Is the Columbia one that has a zip out polar fleece jacket with a shell over it? If so, I would bring the shell definitely. Is the Timberland a heavy jacket? You might not need that level of warmth, likely would not be 10 during the day when you are out and around.

I dont particularly like to drive the park at dark. I will leave early in the AM (don't know why that feels better to me than night??) to get to Lamar, but if I were doing it I would leave Jenny lake before dark.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,677 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP Sep 26-30

I also do not like to drive the mountains at night - that is when the deer and elk are on the move. We have had friends injured/killed when they hit such animals (or such animals hit them) and I don't want to add my name to the list.