We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

We are taking our 13 year old grandson to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in late June 2011 in an effort to introduce him to the outdoors, a little hiking, appreciation of geology and nature......when he is used to going to 5 star hotels in Florida and Mexico with his parents. In order to avoid total culture shock, provide comfortable sized bed for US, and ease in seeing the park, we are looking at finding the most comfortable accommodations possible. Based on the need for 2 queen beds, the only places large enough and still available are Canyon Lodge Western cabins or Lake Lodge Western Cabins. Which are nicer? Which are more centrally located? Which are cooler at night? Which would you recommend?

Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,215 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

Of the 2 options, the Canyon area will have more people and closer shops, restaurants etc. If it was me trying to give my 13 year old son or grandson an idea of what nature is - I'd stay at Lake Lodge with the incredible lake right there.

Either will be fine, book what you can and just enjoy.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

We stayed in the Canyon Western cabin. The canyon area is close to Hayden valley and a beautiful drive to Lamar Valley. I highly recommend the western cabin. They are spacious, clean, and recently remodeled.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

we stayed in the western cabins at Canyon. Loved them-- As mentioned, the western cabins at Canyon have been redone. I'd check to see if the ones at lake have also been? You definitely want one that is remodeled. They are both pretty centrally located, but on the opposite side of the park than the thermals. We found staying at canyon worked well for getting to most of the park, but also stayed at the old faithful area a night to explore the thermals more easily.

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

I also looked into motels in the Gardiner area and am thinking of staying there 2 nights for the northern loop, then go out NE corner to Red Rock, Cody, Thermopolis,for 2 nights and then back into Yellowstone to stay at Canyon or Lake for 2 more nights for southern loop.From there we will head south to Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole for a total trip of 10 days.

How does this sound?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,008 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

I agree with some nights at OF as I love the thermal areas. IIRC, the Snow Lodge has 2 double beds per room, I don't believe they are queens. You might look at a couple of nights in West Yellowstone? Definitely queen beds there and easy to access the thermal areas on the W side of the park.

When you are in YNP you will not be spending much time in the room anyway. The whole park experience will be different than Mexico or Florida vacation.

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

Old Faithful area is already booked for the time period we want and there are no rooms with two queen beds anyway. We cannot sleep 3 adults in 2 double beds with my artificial knees and creaking joints so the queens are necessary.....unless we can get a king plus a rollaway for the grandson.

I know Yellowstone is great since I have been there before and want to show it to my grandson but I also think we can drive a bit to get there since we will not be there every day. I would rather not stay every day in a different place and by doing 2 nights in Gardiner for the north loop, 2 nights in Cody (or 1 Cody and 1 Thermopolis), plus two nights in either a lake or canyon cabin for the south loop...that is enough moving rooms. If you think we would be better off in West Yellowstone instead of a cabin at Lake or Canyon we could consider that alternative but I thought a bit of cabin time is a good additional experience. What do you recommend- cabin or West Yellowstone motel?

Thanks

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

If you want the park experience for your grandson,I would suggest staying in the park rather than in West.

All of the Western cabins at Canyon have been recently remodeled - and most of the ones at Lake also - we stayed in a remodeled one there last summer and it was very nice. I personally prefer the Lake area, but either there or Canyon would work well for you. They are both centrally located, and at that time of year, you'll be cool at night wherever you choose to stay :-)

PS - There aren't any rooms with King beds in the park - unless one of the high-end suites at the hotels have them.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,008 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

Ive never stayed in the cabins, so no idea about them. I have done nights in Gardiner along with nights in West and that worked well for me. I am often going over last minute, so it's easier for me to find lodging in the gateway cities rather than in the park. Plus, when I went in May, I was able to use frequent flyer miles to cover my hotel nights in West. I realized after I replied above that you had probably already looked at OF and that they were booked.

With your current thoughts you would be staying 4 nights in Yellowstone, 2 in Wyoming, 4 in GTNP? I would probably not carve out days from Yellowstone, but that is just me!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,661 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

Keep as many days as possible in Yellowstone- at least four days. With all the wildlife, scenery, etc. there is lots to see and do. And remember YNP is the size of a small state. This website shows you the must sees.

www.yellowstone.net/topten

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone Trip with Grandson

The plan is a bit changeable since we don't have plane tix yet but have to make reservations in the park anyway. So if we arrive late in the day, we will stay the first night in Chico Hot Springs Resort but if we arrive early enough, we will go directly to Gardiner for an extra night.

2 nights/2 days Gardiner for northern loop

2 nights/2 days Beartooth Hwy, Red Rock, Cody, Thermopolis probably staying in Cody

2 nights/3 days for southern loop- can be Canyon or Lake cabins, West Yellowstone Motel

3 nights/2 days Grand Teton NP

1 night/1 day Jackson Hole

This gives us a total of almost 5 days in Yellowstone, 2 days in Grand Teton, 2 days for assorted stuff toward Cody (rodeo, Buffalo Bill Museum, Beartooth Hwy, etc) 1 day Jackson Hole. Do you agree that this is the right balance? Any modifications suggested?