We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another bear spray question

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
another bear spray question

Plan to do a solo hike of Mt. Washburn....

Would you suggest bear spray or since it is a popular hike, would I be okay?

I sort of think I may want to buy some spray, but I think I will most likely not need it. Plan to do some hikes with park rangers and other places I know I won't need it.

To invest or not invest?......that is the question

Texas
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another bear spray question

We didn't take bear spray but now that we have been, I would definitely take bear spray the next time. We were amazed at the level of bear activity. Pretty small investment to be better safe than sorry...

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: another bear spray question

I didn't take my spray with me when we went up the Dunraven side the end of June. We did see a griz down in the valley about 1/4 of the ways up. It was about a quarter a mile away. I definitely would have taken it with me if we had gone up the Chittenden side as it is more wide open with fields of flowers all along the road/trail up. I've seen griz on the open slopes on that side from the road. While people hike up the Chittenden side I think the Dunraven side is way more popular. When we did our daytrip Aug 2nd the parking lot was full along with the pullout just north of the parking lot. I've never seen that many vehicles there so the trail must have been packed to the gills with people.

Its hard to tell you what to do...will you be safe with out it....probably. Is it nice to have the insurance.....yes. Even though I didn't take it on some of the 8 hikes we did in June, I will probably always have it with me now- in fact, I plan on buying more canisters so we can all have a can. However, we live within driving distance so can keep it until it expires. We also do a lot of hiking in the Beartooths and other mountain ranges here in Montana. All that being said....do what you feel comfortable with. Hundreds of people hike the trail every day without bearspray. A tip.....make sure you take plenty of water. While there are pit toilets at the lookout there is no water. I don't know how many people I saw on the trail without any water. I would have died.....especially now that its August and a lot warmer. I would also recommend doing it in the morning too before it gets too hot.

Deb

Edited: 21 August 2010, 18:09
North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another bear spray question

good advice

ST. Louis
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another bear spray question

Bottles of bear spray can be rented for less than u can buy them but with the time and gas spent to return the thing you wouldnt be to far ahead! Not to mention if u just shelled out the 50 bucks the thing would be yours!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
108 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another bear spray question

In the paper this morning: news.gather.com/viewArticle.action… Warnings about bears being hungrier than usual this year in Yellowstone. We'll have bear spray with us - if we survive Glacier, that is!

Edited: 23 August 2010, 12:58
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another bear spray question

I just returned from YSNP and did the hike to Mt Washburn by myself from the parking lot at Dunraven Pass. We bought bear spray from Kmart when we got to Jackson Hole so I decided to take it with me just to be extra careful. Even though this trail is popular and you see people, there were times when I was all by myself so having this extra precaution gave me a little bit of peace and allowed me to enjoy the hike. Just remember to enjoy the hike but to also be aware of your surroundings. We saw a total of 8 bears during our trip and from what I have read before our trip that seemed pretty rare so bear activity seems to be increasing probably in preparation to the winter.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another bear spray question

Any recommendations as to best brand?

Or what would be best percentage of contents?

Thank You

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: another bear spray question

Also, when do you fire this stuff?

When you smell their breath? Do you need to hit them in the snout?

You cannot outrun a Grizzly! Is it spray and run, like human mace and run? Does the can give explicit instructions?

With all this "scare", my wife seems to want a fire extinguisher sized canister! I can see myself covered with bear spray!

Edited: 23 August 2010, 20:10
Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: another bear spray question

I cant bear any more of this.

Will stay in NYC where it is safe.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
594 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: another bear spray question

Does anyone know if it's O.K. to pack bear spray in checked luggage? I would assume so, but wouldn't want to buy ahead of time only to find that the airline won't let me bring it (or if the pressure change would have any negative effect on it)