We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip to Yellowstone in Mid-October?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
A trip to Yellowstone in Mid-October?

Hello. We are considering a 5 day, 4 night trip to Yellowstone in mid or late October. Sounds like the crowds will be gone, but many facilities will be closed--that's ok with us (unless--is there anything truely amazing we'll miss? I know...it's all amazing :-) Are snow storms a concern this time of year?

We will likely fly into Jackson and I'd love to rent an RV and stay in the park (our campground options are Madison, Mammoth & Sloth Creek). Otherwise it looks like the only park hotel optin is Old Faithful Snow Lodge. Or we could stay at a hotel in West Yellowstone. My husband is altitude sensitive, so trying to stay as low as possible. Any thoughts on lodging? (we are budget conscious)

I'm considering renting a hitch trailer with Jackson Hole RV Adventures, but they said it may be winterized by then (ie, no shower!). Are there any year-round showers in Yellowstone? Are RV dumping & water facilities still open in the park or West Yellowstone thru October?

Any suggestions for our trip would be most apperciated!!!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip to Yellowstone in Mid-October?

Given what you know, would you reconsider your trip timing?

Altitude sensitive? But what altitude? You'll be more than 1.0 to 1/5 miles high at YNP.

Perhaps you have read the following pages from the YNP website:

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/weather.htm

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

nps.gov/yell/…CP_JUMP_138397

Edited: 24 August 2010, 00:28
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip to Yellowstone in Mid-October?

Of course I meant 1.5 miles high at YNP. You could get snow at any time, especially this late in the year. Need Deb and Paula to chime in and correct or elucidate. :)

Altitudes:

West Yellowstone, about 6,600'; Canyon, about 7,700'; Lake, about 7,700'; Dunraven Pass, 8,900'.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip to Yellowstone in Mid-October?

True fact, voyaging - there was already snow in the high country last night :-)

Erin, I don't know how sensitive your husband is to altitude, but you'll be well over 5000 ft. anyplace you go. Mammoth, at over 6200 ft., is the "lowest" point in the park. West Yellowstone is about 6600 ft. The YNP map will give you altitudes at other locations: www.nps.gov/yell

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip to Yellowstone in Mid-October?

If flying in then how does flying affect him? Aircraft cabins are pressurized to altitude of about 7,000 feet (depends on plane altitude). But then that's short term exposure and several days at a higher elevation can have a cumulative effect. Best option would be to overnight at lowest elevation possible (Mammoth, as noted). Besides at Mammoth the elk herd might still be in rut which is impressive and often missed by the summer crowds.

We've been there first week of Oct. and had to rearrange routes due to snow. Dunraven Pass often gets temporarily closed due to snow and due to tricky driving if slippery - eventually getting closed for the season. Also it can be really cold and windy.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A trip to Yellowstone in Mid-October?

If you rent a trailer that has already been "winterized" not only does it mean no showers, but no toilet, no water out of the faucet for drinking and/or washing dishes- kind of defeats the purpose for renting an RV.

If you want to visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone Parks AND mid to late October is the only time you can do it, I'd highly recommend staying in a hotel. For Yellowstone, either at Old Faithful (closes for the season on Oct 24) or West Yellowstone. Word of caution: after Oct 17th all of the gas stations inside the park are closed. Makes West Yellowstone an even better option.

There is no way you can predict weather but yes, snowstorms can be a concern in October. Actually, the road between Canyon and Tower (Dunraven Pass) will close for the season on October 12th due to snow. All other roads can be closed down temporarily at any time due to snow.

Deb

6. Re: A trip to Yellowstone in Mid-October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 08:18