We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please comment on updated itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Please comment on updated itinerary

Firstly I apologise that it is so long. Please comment on any aspect of the itinerary. I may still have ONE day up our sleeves

To help you with your comments.

Our original 12 day cruise was cancelled so picked up extra days.

We love rafting, and have experience on grade 4-5 rapids, hence 3 days set aside specifically for rafting.

Hubby loves Dinosaurs(Thermopolis) and wants to go to the Aquarium in Vancouver (he saw this on a travel show recently).

I prefer hiking ( I have done Angels landing, hubby not so keen, so will probably drop him off on the Alpine Lakes circuit and head out to one of the two lakes and pick him up on the way back).

I have added Badlands to our itinerary as suggested by Tet, just not sure the best place to fit it in given the other stuff we were doing in the area. I also thought about going to the Bear park, not sure if we have enough time for this to be added?

Originally had planned to stay in Canyon, then head to Mammoth and then OF before heading south to the Tetons but only expensive accommodation was available on the dates I wanted.

Our full itinerary

Day 1 Fly out of Sydney to LAX then onto Vancouver

Day 2 Vancouver Aquarium

Day 3 Vancouver Stanley Park (if required), Gastown & Seawall

Late pm flight (1955 Delta) to Seattle

Day 4 -14 10 day Alaskan Cruise Departs/Arrives Seattle

Day 14 Fly to SLC ?1130 or 1310

Drive to Moab

Day 15 Westwater rafting (Moab 2 nights)

Day 16 Hike Delicate Arch (This is the only hike we have NOT done in ArchesNP)

Drive to Canon City (Canon City 1 night)

Day 17 Royal Gorge rafting

Drive to Vail

Day 18 – 22 Timeshare exchange (Vail 5 nights)

Day trips to: Glenwood Springs, Keystone, Breckenridge, Buena Vista(rafting). Any other suggestions

Day 23 Drive to RMNP via Trail Ridge Rd if open (RMNP 2 nights)

Day 24 Hike Alpine Lakes circuit

Day 25 Drive to South Dakota via Cheyenne & Fort Laramie ? directly to Badlands (Wall 1 night)

Day 26 Drive the loop road Badlands head to Custer state park pm (Custer 3 nights)

Day 27 Custer state park - Wildlife Loop Road, Garden of Eden Cave Tour Wind Cave, Mt Coolidge Firetower, Needles Scenic Highway to Sylvan Lake, ?Mt Rushmore evening ceremony

Day 28 Custer state park - Iron Mountain Road, Mt Rushmore Presidential Trail, CRAZY HORSE MEMORIAL, Scenic Tour Jewel Cave

Day 29 Deadwood/ Tatatanka/ Devils Tower Monument (? Overnight)

Day 30 Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Drive to Thermopolis (Thermopolis 1 night)

Day 31 The Wyoming Dinosaur Centre, Hot Springs State Park

Drive to Cody Rodeo or Mock gun fights outside the Irma Hotel (Cody 2 nights)

Day 32 Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Dam

Drive to Old Faithful Yellowstone (2 nights)

Day 34 Mammoth (1 night)

Day 35 – 37 Canyon (1 night)

Day 38 – 39 Tetons (2 nights)

Day 40 Drive to SLC

Day 41 Afternoon flight to LA then home

I will post this on the Colorado and South Dakota sites as well.

Thanks for any and all comments. J

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

What are your dates? I've looked through your previous posts, and I'm still confused on when you are coming to visit May or June? What I have learned from my latest trip is that take your plan and cut that in 1/2. Hopefully you will be able to see 1/2 of that!!!

Here's some ideas....

Day 1-14 Vancouver and Cruise

Day 14 Fly to SLC. Stay there. I think after a long flight, no time to drive to Moab.

Day 15 Drive to Moab

Day 16 Westwater rafting

Day 17 Hike Delicate Arch

Day 18 to Vail (no need to go to Canon City for rafting as you will be able to go to Buena Vista and get the same trips)

Day 19 Vail day. Maybe a trip to Glenwood Springs.

Day 20 Buena Vista rafting

Day 21 Breckenridge/Keystone area - maybe rafting too.

Day 22 Vail area

Day 23 Drive to RMNP via Trail Ridge Rd if open - if you are visiting in June, should be open.

Day 24 Hike Alpine Lakes circuit

Day 25 Drive to South Dakota via Cheyenne & Fort Laramie directly to Badlands (Wall 1 night)

Day 26 Drive the loop road Badlands head to Custer state park pm

Day 27 Custer state park - Wildlife Loop Road, Garden of Eden Cave Tour Wind Cave, Mt Coolidge Firetower, Needles Scenic Highway to Sylvan Lake, Mt Rushmore evening ceremony

Day 28 Custer state park - Iron Mountain Road, Mt Rushmore Presidential Trail, CRAZY HORSE MEMORIAL, Scenic Tour Jewel Cave

Day 29 Deadwood/ Tatanka/ Devils Tower Monument. Stay in Buffalo or Sheridan. This is quite a lot to do in only 1 day.

Day 30 Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. Drive to Thermopolis (Thermopolis 1 night) There is a fun A&W Cafe and Bowling Alley (not a part of the actual A&W chain, but good food, root beer and bowling!!!)

Day 31 The Wyoming Dinosaur Centre, Hot Springs State Park morning, then to Cody afternoon, rodeo at night.

Day 32 Buffalo Bill Historical Center in morning. Stay again in Cody or on to YS

Day 33 YS - Old Faithful

Day 34 YS

Day 35 Mammoth

Day 36 Canyon

Day 37 Canyon or add another day in Tetons. My husband loved this park and the views more than YS.

Day 38 - To Tetons. Stop at Grant Village - nice picnic area, some great discounts at the store there. Also make sure you see the West Thumb Geyser Basin. Stay Tetons.

Day 39 Tetons - we loved the Colter Bay area. Beautiful views!

Day 40 Drive to SLC

Day 41 Afternoon flight to LA then home

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

Vancouver Aquarium Add perhaps Granville Market plus there are several lovely gardens in Vancouver

What do you mean by your comment in Day 3, "... Stanley Park (if required)"?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

Our trip has been brought forward a week due to the cancellation of our original cruise. We will be flying out of Sydney on Saturday 7th May. We originally had 2 days in San Diego before the cruise we are now spending those two days in Vancouver. The cruise is also 2 days shorter. Essentially we have picked up 5 days on our original itinerary.

CasaAzul

Day 14 'Stay there. I think after a long flight, no time to drive to Moab.' The flight from Seattle to SLC is 2 hrs, not quite what I would call long. The latest we should be arriving SLC is 1610. I am waiting to hear back if it is feasible to catch the 1130 flight which gets in at 1424. If we were on the road by 1500 we could drive to Moab the same day.

Day 15 The drive to Moab is approximately 5 hours. What do you suggest we do once we arrive?

Day 17 Hike delicate Arch. I thought the hike took approximately 3 hours. What would you suggest we do for the rest of this afternoon?

Day 18 to 'Vail (no need to go to Canon City for rafting as you will be able to go to Buena Vista and get the same trips)' I have heard Royal Gorge and Buena Vista are different and have quite different scenery. What other rafting trips are available near Vail?

We can stay longer in Vail but not arrive earlier. The emphasis on the trip is rafting, Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone. I'm not keen to delete any time there. I would rather push earlier in the trip and allow extra time later.

Day 23 RMNP We will be there 28th May

voyaging

I believe the Aquarium is in Stanley Park so may be able to walk through part of the park on our way into/out of the Aquarium? What other gardens are there in Vancouver? What is there to see at Granville markets, I don't like shopping? We are only going to Vancouver so hubby can go to the Aquarium. Canada is on our list to visit one day, so will probably get the opportunity to come back in the future.

Thanks J

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

julieo, for day 17, you could do short hikes into Devil's garden to see Landscape Arch, a short hike to Skyline Arch, the short hike to Balanced Rock, the short Park Ave hike, a short hike to Double Arch, or maybe even Fiery Furnace (if you can get tickets). I was able to do the first four in addition to Delicate Arch when I was there for a day a couple of weeks ago. Arches is mind-blowing.

Edited: 08 September 2010, 11:08
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

Whoops, I see you have done those all. Delicate Arch is a pretty easy hike, but make sure to wear some good grippy boots so you can make the quick and easy scramble up into the window right before Delicate Arch. It has a great view of the arch. Good footwear would also help around the bowl that you traverse to get under the arch.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

For gardens, if you like them, read on:

hellobc.com/en-CA/…Vancouver.htm

Stanley Park is huge, you might want to check it out on the web, it's not quite "a walk in the park". And it's much more than a "park" by usual definition; scenic, varied, drivable, etc. Yes, the aquarium is in the park.

Granville Market/Island? Again, the web... It's not necessarily about shopping, it's about visiting, observing, people watching, scenic location, etc.

http://www.granvilleisland.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

Hi SpursFan

We couldn't do the Fiery Furnace walk as it was booked out for the week. We did all the other hikes you mentioned plus a few more. I hiked about 12kms that day. I couldn't possibly miss my second opportunity to hike Delicate Arch.

Hi voyaging

We should arrive in Vancouver around 3pm on Saturday 7th. If we check into our hotel, walking would be good way to keep us awake. Maybe we could walk the Gastown area, followed by an early dinner and bed.

I tried to check out the first link and it didn't work. I googled Vanvouver gardens. Vancouver seems to have some amazing gardens. I'm not sure how colourful they will be in May. We are docking in Victoria for 9 hours (8-5pm) as part of our cruise. I plan to visit The Butchart Gardens.

The Aquarium is a must see so probably do that on the Sunday. When we visited the Aquarium at Monterey last year, we did a whale watching tour in the morning and the Aquarium in the afternoon. In 1990/91 on my first trip to the states we spent an entire day at Sea World in Orlando. I have had a quick peek at the Aquarium site to see how much time it takes to get a really good look. I would love to participate in an animal encounter.

The best sights to See in Stanley Park:

• Totem Poles

• Hanging Gardens

• Prospect Point

• Lagoon

• Vancouver Aquarium - one of the biggest attractions of Stanley Park

• Seawall

Hopefully we will have the time to see some of these in our short visit.

I checked out the link for Granville Market I'm sure I would enjoy the public market and a boat ride.

We will definitely come back to Canada again one day so I'm happy to get a taste of what is considered one of the best places to live in the world.

It is cheaper to fly to Seattle on the Monday evening than the Tuesday morning. Every cent counts on such a long holiday. I will need to check if the hotel offers luggage storage. Luggage storage was invaluable when my daughter and I were in Europe earlier this year.

J

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

While in Victoria, you might enjoy the Royal Museum. It's in the Inner Harbor area so easily accessible and quite well done, even fun, and covers a lot, and displays very well, fascinating history, art, archaeology, and more.

www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

What a great trip ahead of you!

Edited: 09 September 2010, 04:08
9. Re: Please comment on updated itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 07:36