We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
594 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
What to see

We are staying in Yellostone in June for 8 nights.What would you recommend? How about Teton? Is it worth going there? How far is it?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see

There's so much to see you won't have any problems filling up your days. I highly recommend the canyon area as the most beautiful. Of course you have to see Old Faithful and the thermal areas around the park. Don't discount wildlife viewing, I didn't think it would be that interesting but our kids enjoyed it. Definately get off the boardwalks and do so hikes, I picked the trails to waterfalls since that was my interest and wish we'd done more of them. Dinner at the Lake hotel is a must, great food and service and the experience in the hotel gives you a old fashioned feeling. There's alot of driving inside the park so make sure to include time for that into your itinerary.

I definately wouldn't miss Teton; I enjoyed our day there more then Yellowstone. It's only 1-2 hours away from the lake area, I'd have to look it up in my trip report but I know it didn't take too long. Take the boat across Jenny Lake and the hike up to the observation area stopping to see the waterfall on the way. Don't stop there tho because the best hiking is past it. And don't let the length of the hike scare you off; I think it's 6 miles to the end but you can turn back at any time. It took us an hour to get to the observation area with stops for viewing and rests then we hiked an hour into the canyone and turned back. It only took an hour to hike all the way back so I wish we'd gone further.

Mentioned in this post
Jenny Lake
Jenny Lake
537 Reviews
Moran, WY
Ball Ground, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see

If you're up for hiking and being away from the crowds:

Definitely do Jenny Lake @ GTNP. The hike up to the top and further is amazing. It's a bit rough, but it was good. And like the previous poster, we wish had gone further back - we were worried about time. Next time we'll do the whole trail back to the canyon.

I would recommend the South Rim trail at Yellowstone for the Grand Canyon of YNP. I think it was about 4 miles and included the stairs down to view the falls.

There is an observation point about a mile up from Old Faithful - we never got to see Old Faithful from up there, but the view was cool and I bet watching Old Faithful would have been neat. We had a heard of Elk blocking the trail - so both times we tried we had NO luck getting past.

We also did Elephant Back Trail near the lake. It was nice - the view and the quiet at the top were unbelievable. That was our most surprising hike.

And then Mount Washburn - that's a must.

Definitely stop and enjoy the animlas when you see them. Spend a night or early morning waiting for the animals to get up. Take note of the ability to see the stars at night too.

Just keeping searching online for different sites with info and read books on Yellowstone. We did a ton of research for our week long trip and still could have found more to do...hence the reason we're going again this year.

Good luck! And hope you enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
Jenny Lake
Jenny Lake
537 Reviews
Moran, WY
South Rim Trail
South Rim Trail
196 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,942 Reviews
Mount Washburn
Mount Washburn
356 Reviews
Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see

I've been to Yellowstone at least 15 times and last summer I finally drove along the Beartooth Highway northeast of the park. Awesome!!! You could also make this route as a side trip to or from Cody to see the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. (Buffalo Bill Historical Center would also be a great choice if you knew it would rain all day.)

The only area where I was disappointed was the thermal terraces in the Mammoth area. Much of the area has dried up over the last 20 years.

With luck you might be able to glimpse wolves in the Lamar Valley area near Slough Creek. Check with rangers.

The previous posts offer great ideas. You shouldn't have any trouble filling up your days. However, like the drive along the Beartooth, a hike up to Mt. Washburn could take at least half a day. To be realistic, estimate driving times as if you are driving just 30 miles an hour. That will help take into account traffic and brief stops along the way to see wildlife.

If you have time, take a hike with a ranger/ naturalist.

Grand Teton is definately worth at least a day. The drive is beautiful. Start early in the morning (shortly after sunrise) for the best pictures of the Teton Range. The Visitor Centers are worth at least a quick stop; each one features a different aspect of the Park. Do take the Jenny Lake boat ride (or hike around the lake) and hike up into Cascade Canyon, but go as early as possible as this is the most popular hike.

Mentioned in this post
Beartooth Highway
Beartooth Highway
435 Reviews
Montana
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,371 Reviews