We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellowstone with two teens

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
yellowstone with two teens

Any advice on where to stay with 2 teenagers in or very close to Yellowstone Park?

Thank you

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellowstone with two teens

It's hard to answer this question without a little more information: when will you be coming and how long do you plan on staying? Also, what types of activities are you and your family interested in?

As a start, I would suggest looking at the YNP website: www.nps.gov/yell There is a lot of help there regarding things to do, as well as a map showing where lodging and the various sights are located. There is also a link to Xanterra, the company that operates the in-park lodging, so that you can review the options and see if they meet your needs.

If you decide to stay outside the park, you might want to consider looking at options in West Yellowstone and/or Gardiner MT.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellowstone with two teens

Here's a link to some information we put together on where to stay.

alandsuejohnson.com/…wheretostay

We prefer staying in the park. There are links to the chambers of commerce for lodging in the gateway communities.

There's lots of other Yellowstone information on the website too. Its from a tourists perspective and we linked to other helpful information too.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellowstone with two teens

We will be coming in August and will stay about 5 days. We enjoy hiking and sight seeing.

Thanks I will check the resources you mentioned. Aprreciate your help!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellowstone with two teens

Thank you for the detailed info

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellowstone with two teens

I'm glad that your trip isn't a 1 night "drive-by" :-)

There are certainly plenty of opportunities for both sightseeing and hiking in YNP. There is a link on the YNP website that will help you choose some day hikes of varying lengths and difficulty.

I agree with AKJ about staying in the park. I really feel that it adds to the experience, besides putting you closer to the things you want to see and do. Canyon and Lake are the most central locations in the park, but you may want to consider a night in the OF area too, especially if the thermals and geysers are of particular interest. Your advantage in Aug. is that all the facilities will be open, but I would suggest making your lodging reservations as soon as you know your dates - places will fill up quickly.

Have you considered spending some time in Grand Teton? It is at the southern edge of YNP and also has beautiful scenery, as well as many great hiking trails.

Enjoy your planning, and come back with any further questions.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yellowstone with two teens

Thank you. I will book ASAP in the park and will look into the Tetons!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,806 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yellowstone with two teens

We spent 6 nights in YS/Teton area with a teen boy! We were camping, but here's what we really liked... Old Faithful, Lake area and Roosevelt Lodge.

The first night was in Cody WY after driving from Denver. Stayed at Ponderosa RV park in a cabin.

The next 3 nights were on the western side of the park in Madison. Nearby is Old Faithful area. My teen was really into the thermal features, so this was a great place for us to base out of. If we had more time, we would have stayed a few nights in the Lake area and a night in Roosevelt in one of the cabins.

We had 2 nights in Tetons at Colter Bay CG and next time we will try to stay in the cabins there. Great ! There is a fun swim beach, boat/canoe rental, hikes and beautiful views. This was our favorite part of the trip! We drove into Jackson for lunch and quickly drove back to Colter Bay, just too crowded in the "city", lol!

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yellowstone with two teens

Thank you. Colter Bay sounds like a great addition to our trip. I will look into it.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yellowstone with two teens

You'll increase your enjoyment of the parks if you bring good binoculars with you and, of course, cameras (with battery charger and large cards; you'll take many).

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yellowstone with two teens

Thank you, will do! My camara recently broke, so I will be sure and get a new one before the trip.