We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bi - Annual road tour

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
209 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Bi - Annual road tour

Hi Everyone,

I am now at the planning stage of my bi-annual road tours of North America and as always turn to Trip Advisor for help along the way.

Flights booked for 15th June out and 2nd July back.

Yellowstone booked, car hire booked.

My Wife and I will be flying into Denver from the UK, spending night 1 in airport hotel

2nd night on journey up towards Rapid City staying near Scottsville Nebraska

3rd night Keystone area visit Mt Rushmore early morning

4th &5th nights in or around Wall to tour the Badlands area

6th night stay Cody area (advice needed)

7th,8th,9th,10th & 11th nights in Yellowstone. Canyon, OF Lodge and Lake lodges.

12th night Jackson Hole, Tetons areas (advice needed!)

13th night Salt lake City area (near lake rather than in City advice needed)

14th stay near Canyonlands NP(advice needed)

15th night stay near Arches NP (advice needed)

16th night stay near Rocky mountain NP (advice needed)

17th night drive to Denver airport hotel

18th fly home to UK.

We generally stay in motels or B&B's on tour and any recommendations on places to stay $150 or less would be helpful.

We like short trails (up to an hour) and site seeing.

I realise it is a long trip in such a short time (about 1900 miles round trip) but I find driving in North America easy compared to the UK, so not a problem.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Les

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bi - Annual road tour

This sounds like a great trip!

When you're in the Black Hills try to check out Custer State Park. After a few trips this is our absolute favorite place in the entire area. It's amazing. It has rock spires, a lake, hiking trails and two great scenic roads in the Needles Highway and the Wildlife Loop Road. We've actually seen more wildlife in Custer than in any National park we've visited. We've seen prairie dogs, buffalo, donkeys, pronghorn antelope, mountain goats and bighorn sheep in numbers that stunned us. One evening we were startled when a mountain lion leaped out right in front of our car. Last September we took relatives from Italy there and they were amazed that such a place existed. There really aren't words to convey the richness of this environment.

Arches and Canyonlands are close to each other. The town of Moab is convenient to both. Moab has lodging and restaurants in all price ranges so you should have no problem finding something to suit your budget. www.moab-utah.com provides a lot of information on lodging, restaurants and activities in the area.

Both Arches and Canyonlands have several short hiking trails. My favorite trail in Arches is the delicate Arch trail, which is a three mile round trip. The trail itself is interesting since you walk over slick rock and a catwalk. I've hiked it at various times of day, but Delicate Arch at Sunset is particularly beautiful, so if you decide to hike this trail you might want to consider timing it accordingly. Touring the Needles Back country in Canyonlands is really worthwhile. We've taken 4 wheel drive tours through Navtec a few times and found them to be very good. A raft rip is also fun to do. If you're not white-water people, flat water options allow you the relaxing and enjoyable experience of floating down the Colorado river between towering, red rock cliffs. You can also jump into the river and let the current carry you a while.

As far as Rocky mountain National park I like the Estes Park side. There are more options in terms of lodging and activities.

You're going to have a great trip no matter what you do!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bi - Annual road tour

Have you seen this website?

www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcircle.htm

I wonder if you'd have time for Zion and Bryce...

Edited: 22 November 2010, 22:16
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bi - Annual road tour

In Nebraska would that be Scottsbluff? Just curious because the route from there to Black Hills is not typical and not as scenic. Also from Denver Rapid City is easily avhieved in a day via Hot Springs, SD (Denver-Cheyene-Lusk-Mule Creek Jct-Hot Springs-Rapid City). Could buy an extra day elsewhere. Also there is not all that much at Wall and Badlands whereas the 2nd night at Wall could be at Spearfish, SD and get a jump towards Cody - enough time to take the loop past Devils Tower in Wyoming. Also prehaps one less night in YNP and one more in Jackson in order to allow full at at GTNP and more chances of clear weather - or less chance of clouds and getting skunked seeing the peaks.

Suggestion on way to Rocky Mt, NP - Glenwood Springs, CO is a nice town and would allow time to visit the huge hot springs pool (after all that driving). Then 5-1/2 hour drive to Denver via RMNP (via Kremmling and Granby) so plenty of time for stops in the park.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
209 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bi - Annual road tour

bkb6060,

Thanks for all your advice, I have posted on several other forums and the help and advice I have had is overwhelming and exhausting to sort through,

Custer State Park (because it is at the start of my holiday) is really exciting me and the whole "cowboy/indian" history will be great.

voyaging

I have checked that web site and is very helpful, thanks.

Sequim88

Yes, it was Scottsbluff (I don't know what came over me!)

I have taken on board what you say about that and, indeed it will save me a day.

I will use that day as an extra stay over between Badlands and Cody.

Because it is near the end of the holiday I have not given much thought to RMNP, but now I will thank you all.

Les

Bruges, Belgium
Level Contributor
207 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bi - Annual road tour

wow, that's quite a trip! we're also from Europe and are going the exact same period! we are doing Yellowstone, Grand teton and Glacier though

last time we did Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion

I would recommend staying in Moab for Arches and Canyonlands, I can recommend the Sunflower Hill B&B

Bruges, Belgium
Level Contributor
207 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bi - Annual road tour

as mentioned before the Delicate Arch trail is a must ... some smaller hikes are Sand Dune Arch, Double Arch and Landscape Arch, we did all four in one afternoon

and if you would be lucky and there is still place on the ranger led hike in Fiery Furnance, go for it!

Edited: 30 November 2010, 05:44
Lancashire England
Level Contributor
209 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bi - Annual road tour

Hi ihadthetimeofmylife

Delicate arch is on our list of to do's

Sunflower hill B&B is a bit out of our price range, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for the other advice too

Les

8. Re: Bi - Annual road tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 06:20