We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestions- SD-WY Late August 2011

CT
2 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestions- SD-WY Late August 2011

We are planning a 9 day trip- the last week of August. We could use some help with this itinerary-where to start and possible airport suggestions.

Here is what we would like to see: (not necessarily in this order).

Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone- 3-4 days, stay in the park if possible, GTNP, Jackson Hole.

Thoughts?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,402 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestions- SD-WY Late August 2011

We did your trip back in 2008. We flew in and out of Denver because we got air fare for about 200 dollars round trip and affordable car rental rates. It would be great if you could fly into Rapid City, SD and out of Jackson Hole or Salt Lake City to save time driving but one way car rental rates can be very very expensive.

You will need at least 3 days to see Mt. Rushmore, Custer SP, Crazy Horse and the Badlands. Count on one long day to drive to YNP.

Here is a website for info on Black Hills- click on Black Hills info once you get to website-

www.travelsd.com

If time allows spend one night in Cody to see museums and rodeo.

You will need at least 3-4 days or more in YNP and at least one day in GTNP.

If you would like to do something different in GTNP then do a float trip on Snake River for awesome scenery and wildlife. We used Barker Ewing and they did a great job.

Here is a website for the must sees in YNP-

www.yellowstone.net/topten

Also check out the NPS website for YNP. If you want lodging in the park which is best then need to do that ASAP. If want out of park lodging check out West Yellowstone and Gardiner for YNP and Jackson Hole for GTNP.

The DE's will give you great advice. They have helped me plan our trips in 2007, 2008 and again this past August.

Also buy the book Yellowstone Treasures for insight into the park, lodging, routes, wildlife, etc.

Enjoy your trip planning.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestions- SD-WY Late August 2011

For major airport on that list of places I would probably go with Denver over Salt Lake City. Both would have lower airfares and car rental than smaller cities like Rapid City, Cheyenne, Billings or Jackson. Denver is more central between YNP and Black Hills although quite a bit farther south. But drive from Black Hills to Denver can be done pretty easy in a bit over half a day.

I also like Denver because it makes possible a great circle route that passes by many of our favorite Wyoming places.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19709-Wyoming_…

Figure 2 easy days with sighseeing to get to Jackson, tour GTNP on way north to YNP for 3 nights, a day's drive to Black Hills via Bighorns (several route options). Or add Beartooth Pass side trip and Chief Joseph Highway and stop in Buffalo. Then a couple days in Black Hills and a drive back down to Denver. I think that adds up to about nine. Adding one or two days would make a huge difference due to the driving distances. You might need to plan a night in Denver before flight out just incase of road delays.

3. Re: Itinerary Suggestions- SD-WY Late August 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 06:23